Another "how Much" Question - Help Please

Decorating By mscrivener Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm by cylstrial

mscrivener Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone. I am very new to cake decorating and I recently made a cake for a distant relative's twin boys first birthday (thats a mouthful). I made the cake essentially in trade since she is a budding photographer and had done some beautiful newborn portraits of my daughter at no charge. She loved the cake and a friend who saw a pic in my relative's blog post has asked if I could price making a similar cake for her... although I'm glad shes not asking for something free, I have no idea what to say. Any advice would be appreciated. The base was 12" and the top is 6" both were modified pkg cakes; all covering and decoration is MMF or 50/50 with gumpaste. I realize it is somewhat dependent on pricing in the area but there really isn't anyone in the area that seems to do cakes aside from driving to a larger centre about 1.5 hours away or the grocery store slab cakes. Any advice would be appreciated!

10 replies
mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 11

I can't help you with the pricing - I don't sell any of my cakes and you are way out of my league anyway icon_biggrin.gif - but I would like to say that this cake is amazing!! Welcome to CC and I think we will probably be seeing a lot of you!

cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 11

That is so good! I love the way that you did the grass! I have never seen anyone do that. Is it just the little flower cookie cutter from wilton cut in half? Your creatures are amazing as well! I would say you should charge somewhere between 3.50 and 4.00/slice (people on here will probably say that's on the low side).

cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 11

BTW, I can't believe you are new to cake decorating! That cake looks like a pro did it!! You must have A LOT of natural talent...or an art background!

yamber82 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 11

that is freaking cute. i am just getting the hang of the pricing thing although i don't go by serving cuz that doesn't really make sense to me,lol. i figure cost to make and doub;e that plus some for labor depending on the work involved. somthing like that would take a lot of time to make all those little critters. i'm guessing the cost to make would have been around 25? plus utilities and dish soap icon_smile.gif that cake is very involved to i wouldn't go less than 100-150. i know that prob sounds low to a lot of the others out there, but that's pretty much what i would charge. if the person thinks that is high, you can explain to her that home -baked cakes are way more costly to make than store bought. so this will be your first sell right? well congrats on that!

here's what i started out with... my first sell i charged 75 and actually thought that was high, but after it was all said and done i only made like $5 profit and it was a lot of work. it's the pink and black with feathers cake in my photos. the next one i charged 35 (she gave me 40) and that was the small pink skull cake. still not a profit because of the ingredients. the alice and spider man cakes were for a friend so i didn't charge her labor. she gave me 140 and that about covered supplies and all so i wasn't put out. sooo... havn't made any profit yet, but at least i've been getting some experience icon_smile.gif the next one i'm charging 200 and i was afraid customer was going to be offended but she was actually fine with it.

sorry this got so long icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 11

I would guess $250-350, that is nice!!

neelycharmed Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 11

Love your work!
I recently purchased the cake boss program, and I think its a great buy.
It helps with pricing(cost per, keeps customer lists,etc..)
If you want to spend $89.10- I think its worth it..

JenLen Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11

No pricing help here, just wanted to say your cake is AMAZING!!!! Love it!

mscrivener Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone for the advice ... and the compliments don't hurt either! lol . I'm just on mat leave right now so selling is just a little "icing on the cake" (bad pun I know) for me so I don't think I'd want to invest in software right now unless I start taking things a bit more seriously but its good to know it's out there.
Cylstrial - fyi, you're right, the grass border is the wilton daisy cut in half,,, it made quick work of it which, after the time everything else took, was great icon_lol.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 11

beautiful cake and great animals

cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:12pm
post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by mscrivener

Cylstrial - fyi, you're right, the grass border is the wilton daisy cut in half,,, it made quick work of it which, after the time everything else took, was great icon_lol.gif

Thanks! That's what I thought. It is really a great way to make grass. And I would NEVER have thought of it! I just loved it all the way around! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%