Help! Anyone Make A Fabulous Scratch Italian Cream Cake?

Baking By TamathaV Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 12:19am by Cakeonista

TamathaV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamathaV Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 15

I am looking for an Italian Cream Cake recipe and some advice for a cake due Friday. The last one I made was pretty dry and not very flavorful. It also called for 2 cups shredded coconut and I had a terrible time cutting it at the wedding. Would running the coconut though the food processor help with that? I don't want to destroy the texture, though.

Also, what type of icing do you prefer? I made cream cheese last time and that was the only part of the cake I likedicon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Tammy

14 replies
woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 15

I have never made this cake, however I have eaten it. A lady that I kow used to sell these throughout the holiday season and it was FABULOUS! this is her recipe.
cake:
1 stick butter, softened 1tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. oil 2c. flour
2 c. sugar 1tsp. vanilla
5 eggs, separated 1 c. coconut, shredded
1 c. buttermilk 1/2 c pecans, chopped

frosting:
1 stick butter, softened 1tsp. vanilla
8 oz. cream cheese softened 1/2 c. pecans, chopped
1lb. powdered sugar, sifted

Cream butter and oil together with sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each. Stir baking soda into buttermilk. Add sifted flour alternately with buttermilk. Beat between each addition. Add vanilla, coconut, and pecans. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture. Pour into 3 9 in greased and floured pans. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 25 mins. Cool completeely before icing.

Frosting:
Cream butter and cream cheese together. Beat in sifted sugar gradually. Add vanilla and pecans. Frost each layer top and sides.

dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 15

Mine is similar to woodruffbn except:
1/2 c crisco rather than oil. I don't use nuts in the cake itself but do use the coconut. Fabulous cake.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 15

I made one for a Client and at first it seemed weird, but, the Client called back and had nothing but great raves. I actually scored a wedding cake order for that same recipe. I am not home now, but, I will send you the recipe - if you have not gotten one yet.
I didn't like the cake myself, and gave up all my extras. I just happened to sample a tiny bite, and I was so mad that I had shared it with anyone.... icon_biggrin.gif
Anyway, it was great.

I will post later

TrinaR

saycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saycheese Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 15

I made this one at Valentine's Day and it was truly FAB! OMG! icon_surprised.gif
Even the icing!!! yum!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/italian-cream-cake-from-beth-lotts-mom-recipe/index.html

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 15

This sounds so yummy. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

TamathaV Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks so much everybody! I'll report back on what works. Trina - thanks so much I'd love to see yours when you have timeicon_smile.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 15

When I make this cake, or any other cake that has nuts or coconut in it, I always give it a very quick whirl in the food processor. I also, cut the amount down to 2/3 of what it calls for because of the less stringier texture of the coconut. I do the same for the nuts, I cut it down to 2/3 as well.

I recently made this cake for one of my graduation hat cakes and the son that does not like nuts(pecans in this case) ate it with no problems.

I think it's a texture thing. Most people do not like a chewy cake. Added plus it's easy to cut and you get all the flavor

TamathaV Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks cakeymom! That's exactly what I was thinking!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 15

I toast my coconut and my pecans before I add them to the batter. I think it makes the flavors deeper and the texture easier to cut. Pecans are traditional, but they make for a harder cake to cover in fondant if you are going that route. When it's a fondant covered cake, I fill it with the traditional cream cheese frosting (sans coconut) and frost it with cream cheese buttercream under the fondant. If it bakes even a tad bit over the prescribed time, it will come out dry. My recipe is close enough to the first one posted as well as the FoodNetwork recipe that I won't take up space repeating it. Those are just some of the things I've learned over time... HTH!

TamathaV Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks Win! Yes, maybe I did overbake. The wierd thing is that the layers looked picture perfect when they came out of the oven. Later when I went to level the tiers they ALL had a wierd uncooked blob in the dome only. After wincing I thought, well at least I didn't overbake them and I was able to level them and get rid of the underbaked portion. Later when I cut it I couldn't believe how crumbly, dry and messy it was. I've never had this happen with any cakeicon_sad.gif Hmm...Maybe my whites were overbeaten when I added them?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #12 of 15

My recipe, too, calls for shortening which you cream with the butter (or margarine) then add the sugar. The egg yolks are next. I always add them one at a time, and beat each one well to incorporate. Then the flour, soda mix is alternately with the buttermilk. Vanilla is next, then coconut and nuts... lastly you fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites (I consider stiffly beaten to "peak" when you lift the mixer.) Bake for 25 - 30 minutes (I split the difference at 28 minutes. 350 degrees. Now, my recipe only calls for a small can of flaked coconut and I'm not sure what that is... I just buy the small can and never really look at the ounces. I think your recipe sounds like too much coconut which, I believe, can cause dryness. If you want, I can PM you with the whole recipe.

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #13 of 15

I made the same recipe that saycheese gave.....really, it is soooo yummy!!!!

Traycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traycee Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #14 of 15

TamanthaV'

My ingredients are
1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 Tbsp vanilla (yes, a tablespoon)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups all purpose flour (sifted then measured)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup finely chopped pecans (I use Fisher's Pecans Cookie Pieces)
1 small pkg shredded coconut (8 oz)

Instructions are the same. And mine always come out moist. As for bake time, I never bake a cake as long as the instructions say. I start checking my cake for doneness 5 mins or so before the given bake time to prevent overbaking & always produce moist cakes.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #15 of 15

I've made the chocolate italian cream cake on the recipes section here on cc, everyone loves this cake and always asks for it. I guess the white one should be just as delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%