Nervous About Large Topper

Decorating By shelbur10 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 5:05am by Rylan

shelbur10 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:03am
post #1 of 6

I am making a large topper for a cake this weekend, and it's not terribly stable (Betty Boop riding a motorcycle). I've stuck long skewers in the bottom of it so it will poke way into the cake, but I'm nervous about it leaning and tearing the cake. If I put straws in the cake, then the skewers into the straws, will that stabilize it? I am assembling on site, so the cake won't be moved after I finish it. Thanks for the help!

5 replies
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:25am
post #2 of 6

I'm not so really sure but it would probably help -- maybe it will.

How about making the skewers long enough to make a hole on the board (board from the top tier). First, place the topper on the cake, letting the skewers poke into the cake. Once it is poked, take the topper off and you will see holes made by the skewers. Use that as your "guide".

Get a really long sharp skewer and use the "guide" to figure out where to poke the cake deep enough until it hits the board. Do it on all holes. When you are done, place the topper on top. If the skewers from the topper is short, replace it with longer ones -- long enough to go through the boards. This way, you will have better support. Also make sure that you use atleast 3 skewers from the topper. They should be arranged alternately and NOT straight. This will avoid it to lean.

I hope I worded it right. I'm kind of sleepy and so I am not in the best state right now.

Good luck =]

shelbur10 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:37am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rylan. I hope the skewers I have in there now aren't stuck...I stuck them in when I first made the base and it's dry now. This sucker has been a several night project. Never again will I be so quick to say, oh, sure, I can make that!

Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:57am
post #4 of 6

Hehe. No problem Shellie (did I spell it right?). Try twisting it if it works. =]

shelbur10 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 6

You did indeed spell it right, Rylan! Thanks again!

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 6

Good and no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%