Help Me Asap

Decorating By jenate04 Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 4:58am by madgeowens

jenate04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenate04 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 8

I have someone who requested a sugar free cake. I tried a recipe that was created by splenda chefs, but it still calls for 1/4 sugar. I read that 1cup sugar=about 200grams. I would need to triple the recipe to make a half sheet cake which would make that cake have about 160 grams of sugar. The cake turned out very heavy and tough on the outside. Is this how sugar free cake are?

I cannot find any sugar free cake mixes. The only thing I could find is 50% less sugar - ends up being 120 grams of sugar per mix and I would need 2.

Not much difference between the two... Is a little sugar okay or is it possible to make one completely sugar free? Also does anyone know of a buttercream frosting recipe that will still crust?

7 replies
CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:10am
post #2 of 8

Don't even bother....

I started a whole thread on this about a month ago and one of the members was very knowledgeable and broke down the whole "sugar free" cake thing. If it is for a diabetic you need to be worried about carb count and not just sugar. Some good recipes were recommended to me (the one I first tried turned out like a rubber frisbee probably a lot like yours) but the ingredients were so involved and expensive I didn't try them. Also, one of the diabetic CCers said her doc just told her your just as well/bad off if you just have a small slice of cake since most "diabetic" cakes use a sugar substitute but are still high in simple carbs and can cause a sugar spike.

I don't know how to search previous threads but if you can find it (maybe check my posts???) it's worth reading.

good luck!

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:12am
post #3 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628236.html

there...try that link. I think it will take you to the thread I was talking about.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:43am
post #4 of 8

Yeah, Cakediosa is right, no matter what you do if you don't use real sugar your cake is gonna turn hard and dense, I've tried several recipes unsuccesfuly, my diabetic friends say they taste ok but I've decided not to make more of those, after all it's still my reputation as a baker! thumbsdown.gif

jenate04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenate04 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your input. I called the lady and she insisted that she still wanted the cake. I'm not going to decorate it, just a simple border b/c I don't think I could get a frosting to work right. But I agree... I won't be committing to any more sugar free cakes! Thank you guys so much!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 8

Cake is going to turn into sugar as it is digested in the body. so be sure they know that.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 8

The following recipe was copied from the splenda recipes site, and was changed by me to taste better and has no splenda after taste. I hope, thet if you tried it, to receive some comments from you.

banana bread con splenda

2 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup wheat flour ( I changed to: 1 1/4 flour, and 1/2 cups of wholemeal flour )
1/2 cup splenda granular
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 cup smashed bananas
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup sugara free chocolate chips optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9X5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Blend the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Add oil,milk and vanilla to the mashed bananas. Mix well. Pour banana mixture into dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed.
4. Add chopped walnuts. Stir until just mixed.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven 45-55 minutes or until rich brown and the center is set.

it can be frozen

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #8 of 8

bananas raise blood sugar out of sight fyi
like I said, its the carbs that they need to count.better off just having a thin slice of regular cake......thats straight from the diabetic nurse

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%