Can't Find Froz Raspberries In Syrup - How To Substitute?

Baking By niffferjen Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm by conchita

niffferjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niffferjen Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:55am
post #1 of 3

I have checked the three grocery stores in my city and nobody carries the frozen raspberries in syrup that my raspberry-chocolate ganache recipe calls for icon_cry.gif .

Does anyone know how much sugar to add to regular unsweetened frozen raspberries so that I get a good syrup? Or should I make a simple syrup and add that when I cook the berries down? I've never made this recipe before and I just want it to turn out useable so I don't waste a bunch of money on ingredients.

If anyone has had experience substituting the regular frozen fruit for the fruit in syrup, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Jennifer

2 replies
maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 10:07am
post #2 of 3

It would help to post the recipe.

Will you be pureeing the raspberries?

Or do you just need the syrup?

Or are they going in whole with the syrup?

Here is a recipe that doesn't call for the raspberries to be in syrup.

Raspberry ganache:
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup Raspberry Puree*
16 bars (1.5 oz. each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons Chambord (raspberry flavored liqueur)

Heat the cream and Raspberry Pureé in a medium saucepan over medium heat to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the Chambord. Pour into a jelly roll or baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let the stand at room temperature until cooled and thickened, about 1 to 2 hours. (The Raspberry Ganache can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed. Bring ganache to room temperature or gently reheat until spreadable.)

*To make Raspberry Pureé, thaw 1 1/2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen unsweetened raspberries. Press berries through a fine-mesh strainer, using a rubber spatula. This yields approximately 1 1/3 cups pureé, which is enough for the cake and ganache.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 3

I will try this recipe too thanks thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

It would help to post the recipe.

Will you be pureeing the raspberries?

Or do you just need the syrup?

Or are they going in whole with the syrup?

Here is a recipe that doesn't call for the raspberries to be in syrup.

Raspberry ganache:
1 1/3 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup Raspberry Puree*
16 bars (1.5 oz. each) Godiva Dark Chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons Chambord (raspberry flavored liqueur)

Heat the cream and Raspberry Pureé in a medium saucepan over medium heat to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the Chambord. Pour into a jelly roll or baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let the stand at room temperature until cooled and thickened, about 1 to 2 hours. (The Raspberry Ganache can be made ahead and refrigerated until needed. Bring ganache to room temperature or gently reheat until spreadable.)

*To make Raspberry Pureé, thaw 1 1/2 packages (12 ounces each) frozen unsweetened raspberries. Press berries through a fine-mesh strainer, using a rubber spatula. This yields approximately 1 1/3 cups pureé, which is enough for the cake and ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%