Question About Fondant Cakes

Decorating By Tootie80 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 7:42am by Rylan

Tootie80 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I have a question. How do you keep a fondant cake fresh and how do you store it? How far ahead can it be made? I heard that you can't refridgerate it because it will harden? Thanks a lot!

Tootie

6 replies
Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

I always just leave my fondant cakes on the bench when they are not cut and once they are any left overs either in a container (though the fondant may become softer) or just wrapped well with glad wrap.

Most people don't put fondant in the fridge because when they take it out it has been known to 'sweat' and you will get moisture on the outside of the fondant.

Fondant cakes usually last a while because the fondant actually helps seal in the freshness of the cake.

Fondant can be made in advance to the cake, all you need to do is make the fondant then double wrap in in plastic wrap, then put in an airtight ziplock bag and then even in a airtight container and you can just leave that in the pantry until you need it. I usually don't like to make any longer if i did in advance then maybe a week but i think you can longer than that but can't remember exactly how long.

That's all i can contribute HTH icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #3 of 7

Elise, this is the second time I've heard of "bench" used as a different term. What does bench mean in Australia? Because when I think of bench, I think of seats hehe. Let me know, I am so curious.

chedaw Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 7

I think you call them kitchen counters in America, we call them benches here in Aus. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Elise, this is the second time I've heard of "bench" used as a different term. What does bench mean in Australia? Because when I think of bench, I think of seats hehe. Let me know, I am so curious.

well in a cooking sernario when some people say bench in australia that is short for kitchen bench which you might call a counter top or the kitchen counter top in america?

how else have you heard 'bench' used?

*edited* what chedaw said lol

PinkZiab Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 7

It's also called a bench in a professional kitchen (especially in pastry and breadmaking)... Hence the term "bench scraper." It's short for "workbench."

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:42am
post #7 of 7

Gotcha, now I understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%