Scratch Cakes That Don't Call For Cake Flour?

Baking By Kate714 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm by Kate714

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #1 of 7

Are there any?? I really want to find good scratch recipes for white and chocolate cake but all the recipes seem to call for lots of cake flour...trying to save $$$ here...!

6 replies
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:56am
post #2 of 7

i've found many recipes in allrecipes.com, that do not call for cake flour. you can try searching there.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #3 of 7

Do you mean you don't want ANY flour in them, or that you don't want to use "cake" flour. Are you happy enough to use AP flour?

There are quite a few recipes for flourless chocolate cakes out there, and also layered meringue-type cakes. In these cases you are using more eggs and stuff like almond meal - both of which are probably more expensive than flour anyhow!

But if you google 'gluten free cakes' I am positive you'll come up with many options.

HTH!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:00am
post #4 of 7

You can substitute all purpose flour for cake flour. Replace 1 cup (sifted) cake flour with 7/8 cup all purpose flour (7/8 cup = 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp). Got that out of my joy of cooking cookbook.

I don't use cake flour, and I would likely just use all purpose flour in the amounts given, but then I don't sell cakes so if something is a bit of a disaster, my family has to still be grateful that they got cake. HA HA.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:12am
post #5 of 7

I never use cake flour in my recipes that call for it. I have a substitution chart that says use all purpose but subtract one tablespoon from each cup required. Has never failed me before! Good luck, HTH! thumbs_up.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:25am
post #6 of 7

1 cup is 16 tbsp, so the joy of cooking chart says to use a little less cake flour than jaybug says (ie 7/8 cup is 2 tbsp less than a cup -- which, by the way, is a lot easier way of measuring, so thanks for that idea).

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 7

oh, great, I did not realize you could substitute AP flour for cake flour!! that just made my day. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%