How Tall Is Tall Enough

Decorating By DanaG21 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:23am by SaraClassic

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #1 of 5

I'm struggling with how tall my tiers should be! I have the Sharon Zambito buttercream video and her cakes are perfect and TALL. Mine never get past my 2" pan height - for any size. I'm filling them up over half full. Would a heating core help? I want beautiful tall cake layers - help please!

4 replies
SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 5

I would try more batter and the bake even strips that wilton makes. You wet them and wrap them around your pan and then the center doesn't rise more than the sides. That should get you taller tiers.

DanaG21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaG21 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 5

I use the strips so I think I will try to fill the pans more. I just feel like I will almost have to double very recipe or use smaller pans!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 5

I usually use 5-8 cups of batter for an 8" tier and 8-10 for a 10" (I think-it's late for me and my mind is a little fuzzy!) I try to fill my pans to about 3/4 full and use the strips. I've never used a heating core or flower nail.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #5 of 5

I struggled for a long time with this too. I use heat core for over 8 in cakes and the strips and fill about 2/3 full. Finally a 2 in ( just under after trimming) and then filling and stacking I met my 4 inches!! thumbs_up.gif Maybe try a different cake recipe while your at it
good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%