Foolproof Crusting Bc Recipe ?

Decorating By SugarLover2 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 7:22am by JanH

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 2

i just made this recipe with angel white (same as brite white) and have a couple questions.

first, i did use hi ratio shortening. when i got done mixing, it looks beautiful, but once i tasted it it's like i stuck my tongue in a bag of powdered sugar. it's not dry, i can just really taste the ps.

i added a 1/2 stick butter and some more vanilla which helped, but i wonder if i can do anything else?

could it be the brand of flavorings i used? the vanilla is fine-just used that in another recipe, but maybe the ck creme bouquet is funky?

i am all for trying another recipe, but would like to put this batch to use if i can. i mean, it's not horrible, it just needs something.

thanks for any help, sorry this is so confusing!

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:22am
post #2 of 2

Hi-ratio can absorb more liquid than Crisco without breaking down, so I'd add a little more water to fluff it up a bit. icon_smile.gif

If you substituted hi-ratio for Crisco 1:1, that is probably the cause of your problem.

I tried that when I got 50# of Sweetex, and it didn't work well for me... It was just too much fat for the recipe, not at all greasy - but it was like trying to chug heavy whipping cream when you were expecting whole milk.

Substituting 2/3 cup hi-ratio for every 1 cup Crisco, or 1 cup hi-ratio per 7 cups of powdered sugar worked much better.

But what yielded consistently superior results were recipes written for hi-ratio.

If you wish to try some hi-ratio recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608700-.html

HTH

P.S. I also used Angel White icing base and thought it was quite good - until I tried Brite White. The Brite White is SO much better.. ( After using Brite White, I found that I really needed to use twice as much AW to get the same results..)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%