How Heavy????

Decorating By MBHazel Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 1:23am by ptanyer

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 3

I don't do too many stacked cakes, but have one for next week for a friend's wedding. It will be a 14 inch, 10 and 6. Buttercream with minimal decorations.

What do you guess that will weigh? I would rather transport stacked and be done with it. Do you think that will be safe to carry stacked. (To the CAR)

What do most of you do with a three tier?

I don't want to end up on the disaster forum!

Thanks a million!!

MBHazel

2 replies
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:18am
post #2 of 3

I think it will be ok. we stack most of our 3 tier at the bakery. Height is a bigger factor to me than weight.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 3

I'm not good at guessing what a cake would weigh, but a 3 tier cake is going to be heavy. When you consider the cake base, cake and icing, decorations, I'd guess maybe between 30 to 50 pounds.

I have delivered a 4 tier wedding cake and had it carried to the car and delivered completely set up. Not one problem. Make sure that you use a good support system.

With a good support system (I am now completely sold on the SPS) in place and a good cake box (I have several of the wedding cake delivery boxes that I bought from Globalsugarart.com and they have a really heavy duty piece of cardboard that slides out of the box and then you place the cake in the cutout provided and slide it back in and put the top on) and you're off to deliver. I would suggest that you use a piece of non-skid shelf liner to put on the bottom of what ever you carry your cake in for some extra insurance to prevent sliding.

HTH's! Don't forget to post photos thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%