How Do You Steam Fondant????

Decorating By nesha Updated 26 May 2014 , 2:52pm by blademanswife

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #31 of 47

Would this work with super peard dust? I have a bed cake to do and it is suppose to look like silk sheets on it. I plan to paint it with super pearl dust for a shiney effect but would like it to really shine. Do you steam on painted or just dusted surfaces?

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:47am
post #32 of 47

I had painted my cake board fondant with super pearl and lemon extract for the wedding and it was a really nice, not dry finish. Of course, after a weekend in the fridge, it was very smooth and shiny, but the pearl was not quite as even -hard to tell though because the base was marred by the kitchen people. I would test a small piece with the pearl, extract or vodka and the steam for your "silk bed sheet", then also try with just dry dusting and steam. It might change after a day or two of drying as someone said earlier.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #33 of 47

Hi all. Does this technique only work with dusts and powders or will it make plain fondant shine?

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #34 of 47

On the episode of cake boss the pp are talking about it was just plain fondant that he steamed. It was a black xbox and when he was done it was soooo shiny. Cant wait to try this!

manda52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manda52 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #35 of 47

I agree the bunny did look kinda wierd. That said, I looove the show. I work with my sister too, so I know how that can be. LOL icon_wink.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #36 of 47

I lightly steam all my fondant cakes with a small hand held clothes steamer. It does set colors, shimmer dusts and petal dusts nicely. It does dry but it still has a nice finish. I pass it all over the cake once and pretty quickly. HTH

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #37 of 47

BTW when you steam black or dark color fondant , it does look very shiny when you steam it but it does dry and does not remain that shiny.. Just so you know.

valeriestephen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeriestephen Posted 11 Aug 2009 , 3:58am
post #38 of 47

If I have a buttercream iced cake with Fondant accents, can I steam them? Or will it do something weird to the buttercream? Thanks!

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 7:52am
post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

On Monday night he steamed with a garment steamer and his fondant stayed shiny because I saw it later in the show when he gave it to the relative...I can hardly wait to try it....he used a hand steamer and did not hold it near the fondant lomng at all...that show will be repeated Monday night at 10 30

I tested it out. The fondant will stay shiny while it's wet, which is for a good couple of hours but once it's dry it loses the shine. So I would steam the cake just before it's delivered. I like the idea of using steam to get rid of powdered sugar cause it was always a problem for me on dark colours.

dani256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dani256 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #40 of 47

I used an iron that had a steam feature. Just held the iron away from it and pushed the steam button. Worked like a charm to make the fondant shiney.

ziyu03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziyu03 Posted 10 Feb 2012 , 1:25am
post #41 of 47

My cake decoration teacher showed us to use boiled kettle to steam flower, only a few second, amazing effect.

But my question is how to steam a whole cake without a hand steamer? I am wondering my iron which has steam function, but it leaks water drops sometimes.... So I am not sure it will work... Any ideas?

cargresha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cargresha Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:09pm
post #42 of 47

I use a small handheld steamer.

However I prefer airbrush my fondant cake with a mixture of vodka and light corn syrup.

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 4:16pm
post #43 of 47

Steaming gives it a "shiny" finish...I heard you could use an iron on the "steam" setting...

nalass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalass Posted 7 Jan 2013 , 11:10pm
post #44 of 47

Hi guys..

I use my pressure coocker to steam mine.I watch the cake boss episodes and saw him using one hand held one, But I get great results even usung the kettle..Hope it helps

luv2laugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2laugh Posted 21 May 2013 , 1:02am
post #45 of 47

I dont have a steamer so I use my Iron and push the steam button and it works!!

Sweet Granny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Granny Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 7:17am
post #46 of 47

My steam iron has a steam burst that works great on my cakes.  It builds up pressure and when I push the button it bursts out.  Makes for very shiny fondant and not too wet.

blademanswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blademanswife Posted 26 May 2014 , 2:52pm
post #47 of 47

AHow long does the steam take to dry, how long does the shine last and will it make my colors bleed. I like the idea of steaming and want to try it for my granddaughters birthday cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%