Wants A Plain Cake... So I Need The Best Recipe There Is :]

Baking By JaeRodriguez Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:39am by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 16

I am making a birthday cake for two friends who are twins and are very picky eaters, they don't like any kind of cake except yellow and want buttercream icing, said it could be chocolate. Told me they didn't want fondant either. Anyway the party I am making it for is going to have people who are going to be just waiting for me to fail at making a great cake so I need a kick booty recipe for yellow cake and buttercream. I know it's yellow cake and buttercream how much more plain can you get lol but I want to make the best these people have ever had...

Any recipes you can throw at me? TIA!

15 replies
msulli10 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 16

I would recommend the WASC cake (recipe in the recipe section). Use a yellow cake mix and 3 whole eggs instead of the egg whites and follow the rest of the recipe. It's a very good cake. You can't fail!

sleeper713 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 16

I agree with msulli10... use the WASC recipe, vanilla yogurt instead of sour cream, and vanilla coffee creamer for the liquid. They'll love it!

JaeRodriguez Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 16

Ahhh! Thank you both, I was leaning towards that or the Mermaid Bakery one but I'm reading that it might have a funny texture to it...

Deb_ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #5 of 16

My vote is for Sylvia Weinstock's Classic Yellow Cake, just google it.

It's delicious and simple without any chemical taste.

Serious_cakes buttercream is excellent with this, here's a link to it...............
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7059-Buttercream-Frosting.html

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 16

Thank you dkelly! I will try both of these recipes and see which I prefer, I have time to do that thank goodness!! And I will definitely try the buttercream you sent, I am looking for a great BC too! Thanks y'all!

mija10417 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 16

I agree with dkelly....Sylvia's Yellow cake is delicious!

clovely Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #8 of 16

Why would these people be just "waiting for you to fail"?

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 16

I've done a lot of things that they don't agree with and they really don't like me because of it and want to think that I am not capable at succeeding... it's a long complicated story. And the only reason I'm doing the cake is because I love the guys it's for and most of the people at the party! :] I almost didn't do it because I'm afraid to give them any reason to talk about me or any satisfaction in being able to say the cake wasnt good or looked like a cake anyone could make. But I want to prove to these people that I can do it and do an amazing cake! :]

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #10 of 16

Sounds like you have some really crapp a** friends. icon_sad.gif

Good luck...doesn't sound like you will win even if you make a knock-em-dead cake anyways. So sad.

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 16

haha Jamie- My friends aren't but other people that are at the party are pretty crappy :] And I know that if i make a great cake the mean people probably will still have stuff to say but at least I (and everyone else there) will know they are just talking smack because my cake was amazing ;] hehe

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #12 of 16

Jae...knock em dead!

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 16

:]] I'll update after the party!

sadsmile Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #14 of 16

I love to add more Vanilla and cream bouquet to yellow cake and a pinch of salt. Makes it dreamy.

JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 16

thanks sadsmile, I was definitely thinking I'd add more vanilla! I can't wait to try it out!

JaeRodriguez Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:39am
post #16 of 16

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I tried Sylvia Weinstock's recipe except I put a little extra salt and a little butter extract in it and I LOVE IT! :]]] I used a buttercream recipe that I thought was going to be too sweet but I let my dad and sister try it, and they said it's the best yellow cake they've ever had! YAY! Thank you guys! I'm going to try the WASC too, but at this point I think it's no contest!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%