Heatwave - Vent...

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 12:39am by Rylan

Cathy26 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 7

ok, so i only started caking in october and, being in northern ireland, all i have caked in has been cold, colder and colder again weather. now we are hitting 21 degrees and my fondant and gumpaste are going mental!! i have had two elephant skin red fondant covered cakes, a slightly torn fondant prayer book cake and my hands are boiling hot which is making my gumpaste all sticky...i have newfound respect for all of you working in heat and humidity. i know 21 degrees isnt that hot but for us over here (particularly us with the ghosty skin and ginger hair icon_smile.gif ) it really is a nightmare. i was hoping for a good summer but now im not so sure - it makes every thing so much harder icon_lol.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 7

Wow...I think that's just about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It's 6 in the evening here and 93 F (34 C) outside and this isn't an especially hot day for us.

My house is never cooler than 75 F which would be about 24 C. I just can't afford to keep it cooler than that...if I set the air conditioner any lower it drives my electric bill up over two hundred dollars a month. But I manage fine with the fondant in the heat, so it's probably just a matter of adapting your recipes a bit. I did have trouble when my AC went out and it was 90 F in the house.

I've heard that some people keep a bowl of ice water to dunk their hands in every so often while they're working with fondant. Maybe that would work for you icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 7

Wait until you go to Vegas. 105 degrees in my area is pretty normal during the summer.

patticakesnc Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 7

We hit right at 90 today. I was so glad I didn't have to transport anything......I have got to go get my AC recharged in my truck or it won't be pretty!

mariela_ms Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 7

I would love those 70 degrees! We usually get around 115 during the summer here!

blondeez Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 7
Originally Posted by RylanTy

Wait until you go to Vegas. 105 degrees in my area is pretty normal during the summer.

I miss Vegas heat. At least its a dry heat. You could have the humidity I have to deal with here in Louisiana.

Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #7 of 7

Blondeez, true. I'd rather have a really hot dry climate than a less hotter but humid climate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%