3D Confetti Cakes Purse Help Please!!

Decorating By katherinem Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm by pattycakesnj

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 3

I am making my first 3D purse cake and I have the Confetti Cakes book. I'm not sure what is the best cake to use - in the book she lists a vanilla cake saying "it's a delicious white cake with a slightly crunch y top and is the perfect texture for creating sculpted cakes. The recipe calls only for egg whites, which makes it nice and light.

I'm just worried because i know some people on here said to use a denser cake and in her instructions she is saying to bake 3 11x15 cakes and cut them in half so you have 6 11x7 cakes and stack all of them - i'm worried about the weight of all of the cakes on each other.

What would be the best way to go about this?

2 replies
ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 3

I actually took a class with Elissa Strauss where she demonstrated making her purse cake...

She used a chocolate cake..and she baked it in a sheet pan/jelly roll pan and then cut it in half...she then stacked a few layers and then used foam core over dowels and then stacked the rest of the cakes. The foam atop the dowels prevented the cake from being too heavy and then she carved accordingly. Just be sure to cut your foam core to the approx. dimensions of what you will be carving (slightly smaller would be best) so that you don't hit the foam when you are carving..

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 3

anything over 4 inches tall should be placed on cake board and dowelled, because as you said, the weight will crush the bottom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%