What Do I Need To Open A Cake Studio?

Business By meliais Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm by meliais

meliais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meliais Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 6

hello everyone!!

Maybe next year I cant rent or buy a place/local/store for a cake studio ,so i was wondering, what do i need?
And how to organize everything, how to put everything at the store.

If you watch ace of cakes, i mean, his bakery is awesome, but too big for me.I know that he have a baking sector, a decorating sector and the "office" sector.
For the bakery, what do i need, a normal oven (like the one that i may have in my house) or a professional oven? Do i have to have like a normal bakery?

I was trying to find some pictures of a cake studio (i google it) but without succes, so if anyone have any idea i will appreciate it.

thanks everyone!!

5 replies
EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 6

Your cakes are fabulous, you do terrific work! I would say that when I think of a cake studio I think of a small bakery with commercial equipment but less of it, less than five employes and no retail storefront(no display cases). I think of an appointment only bakery and custom cakes to order. I think it would be very beneficial to have an industrial stove(convection), industrial mixers, metal work benches, etc.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 6

Probably the first thing you should do is to contact your local health department and see what you are required to have (triple sink, etc.), and then that would give you a starting point.

meliais Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:54am
post #4 of 6

thanks!!!
The only problem is that i live in barcelona-spain, the cake decorating bussines is something completly new here, icluding for the health department, so i dont think they could give me any directions. Probably they will ask me to open like a normal bakery because ,as i said, there is any special "laws" for a cake bussines like this.

About the oven, the professional ones are so expensive!!! it is also expensive in the usa?
I was thinking to divide yhe store in two diferent sections, the first and little one, some kind of exposition of the cakes, and maybe alittle reception-table for the costumers to order.And then the big section that will be the bakery.

dulcefactoria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulcefactoria Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 6

Hola Melissa

En España tienes 2 opciones:

1. Abres con una licencia medioambiental para una pastelería, aunque sea pequeñísima, porque a fin de cuentas eso es lo que haces pasteles...y te das de alta como autónoma o sociedad (si son más de 3)

2. Alquilar un local pequeño, comprar un horno como el de tu casa, no puedes abrir al público con vitrina ni nada...sólo usar el espacio para recibir gente y sin embargo, estás ilegal y si alguien en una fiesta/reunión se intoxica por cualquier cosa...terminas en un problema porque sanidad hará la trazabilidad correspondiente y como no estás legal...ya sabes

De todas formas, todo esto creo que lo sabes por el foro de cocinando con el alma donde solías participar

saludos

meliais Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 6

Gracias dulcefactoria,

alguna cosa he leido, no solo en el foro, sino en varios sitios también.
pero la verdad es que no queda nada muy claro, sobretodo cuando hablas con ayuntamientos etc y no saben darte respuesta, es un follón!!

pero bueno seguiré buscando...
saludos

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%