Advice For Newbie: Nfsc & Fondant-Covered Cookies As Fav

Baking By Retrogirl38 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm by Elise87

Retrogirl38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Retrogirl38 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 2

THANK YOU all you FABULOUS CC'ers...Through lurking I have learned a great deal! I know that someone will have the answers to my questions:

I am making Wedding Cake Cookies for my sister's shower June 7th. They will be NFSC covered with Dawn's Decorice Fondant (smells like cotton-candy...hope it tastes that way!)

I will be using the "Cookie Cutter Texture Set" (the one with a cutter and 3 impression mats) to cut the cookies, fondant, and emboss the fondant.

My questions:
TECHNIQUE:

Roll cookies to 1/4 inch thick, and Fondant to 1/8 inch thick(I am worried the fondant will be too thin to generate the impression)?

I am interested in plopping the fondant on the cookies out of the oven to allow the fondant and cookie to meld...I read that it is helpful to use vinyl sheets to transfer the entire fondant cut-out to the cookie...how do I get the embossed effect if I "peel off" the rolled out fondant cut-out from the vinyl sheet? Do I roll on the effect AFTER I put the fondant on the cookie?

I have learned that fondant "melts" when in an air-tight area...will putting the cookies into cello bags with ribbon cause the same effect to happen?

My instructor told me that RI melts on buttercream...is that the same as with fondant? (I would like to add RI dots and strings to each of the cookies)

PACKAGING:
How soon after the cookies cool and have the RI decorations will I be able to package them? Will the fondant get slimy?

TIMELINE:
I will be doing 70 of these treats...this was the "plan"
Mix and Roll and Refrigerate: Wed
Bake: Thurs
Decorate: Fri
Bag: Sat
SHOWER: Sun

Will this timeline allow the cookies to stay "ok"?

I really appreciate the generosity of spirit and thoughtful advice and support from everyone on this site. Thank you so much in advance.

Take good care, and God Bless,

Retro dunce.gif

1 reply
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 2

wow alot of questions but i can only answer one sorry and hope i am not too late with the reply!

With your question can you put royal icing on fondant? yes you can cose i have and i had no issue with it.

with your fondant all i can say is don't roll it too thin but don't roll it too thick either cose then they might be too sweet

I don't think the fondant would go melty or anything in a cello bag because they are not airtight and the fondant can still breath if you know what i mean.

If you are really worried maybe put all of them in bags sat but leave them open and if you have time on sunday in the morning you can tie them all off.

With the packaging all i can say is that when i make royal icing cookies i let them dry for 24 hrs but if you can't wait that long i reackon 12 hrs would be fine cose it is only detailing. That way if you are stacking them, the RI additions won't get squished.

Anyway i hope i was of some help but i only started doing cookies myself so i am no expert but hopefully i gave you a bump
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%