Fabric Ribbon On Cakes

Decorating By Poshpartycakes Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm by linstead

Poshpartycakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 18

How do I put fabric ribbon on a cake & keep the grease from seeping through it?

17 replies
emlashlee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 18

I've not done it personally, but I read on bethie713's wedding cake description that she used packing tape on both sides of her ribbon to keep it from getting oily. Here is the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1381224.html.

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 18

I "personally" suggest that you don't use ribbons that are not made for food. If you really want to use it, I've heard people stick tape behind the ribbon.

Good luck.

CakesbyCindi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 18

I have read in other post about purchasing water proof ribbon from a florist or ironing wax paper to the back of the ribbon.

emlashlee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I "personally" suggest that you don't use ribbons that are not made for food. If you really want to use it, I've heard people stick tape behind the ribbon.

Good luck.




How come you're not a fan of ribbon? I'm a beginner, so trying to get opinions on why/why not.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 18

Some people are under the hyperinflated impression that ribbon is poised and ready to attack your cake and leach all kinds of hazardous and volatile, flammable, cancer causing, impotence rendering, rash inducing, and all sorts of other crazy germs/chemicals/microbes/viruses/staphylococcal-whatsits into the cake.

It is not on there long enough to matter. I am quite sure I could sit at my desk at work all day long with a piece of ribbon soaking under my tongue and still be alive at the end of the day. But who knows...might grow a third arm in a week or so. icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's ok. Really.

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 18

And that certainly is in no way directed at the poster who said she wouldn't use it. But there are people who will go overboard like "aaahhh!! no ribbon! you'll go blind!" Gimme a break. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

SJ169 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 18

"aaahhh!! no ribbon! you'll go blind!"
HAHAHA oh dear __Jamie__ that was great .. i have used ribon and have never had problems with it..

StaceyCakes75 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 18

Good grief, I agree 100 % jamie! Kids eat bugs and dirt and God knows what else and we are worried about a little ribbon.

Indydebi told me just last week that she waits till the BC is crusted over and doesnt have a problem but if she has a rush job just run some crisco over the entire ribbon so the grease is soaked in...no grease stains!

tonedna Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 18

I use all kind of ribbons, and typically the only thing you have to watch for is that if you dont put anything on the back, the ribbon will get a shade darker. I never had a problem with them. As for the ones with wires, I prefer to avoid them. But some people bring their
own ribbons sometimes, so I just take the wire out..
Edna icon_smile.gif

abruntz Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #11 of 18

Oh this is great I was just going to start a forum call something like this I am glad that you started it for me.
Thanks!!

tonedna Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Some people are under the hyperinflated impression that ribbon is poised and ready to attack your cake and leach all kinds of hazardous and volatile, flammable, cancer causing, impotence rendering, rash inducing, and all sorts of other crazy germs/chemicals/microbes/viruses/staphylococcal-whatsits into the cake.

It is not on there long enough to matter. I am quite sure I could sit at my desk at work all day long with a piece of ribbon soaking under my tongue and still be alive at the end of the day. But who knows...might grow a third arm in a week or so. icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's ok. Really.





icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JudyDP Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavaglieri

Good grief, I agree 100 % jamie! Kids eat bugs and dirt and God knows what else and we are worried about a little ribbon.

Indydebi told me just last week that she waits till the BC is crusted over and doesnt have a problem but if she has a rush job just run some crisco over the entire ribbon so the grease is soaked in...no grease stains!




Marsha Winbeckler agrees with Indydebi. icon_smile.gif In her book "Decorating With Rolled Buttercream Icing", she says, "First wet the ribbon with water. Remove the excess water by running the ribbon between your fingers. Attach one end of the ribbon to the icing and press in place. (The damp ribbon will attach itself to the icing.) To prevent uneven color of the ribbon from the icing (grease spots), spray the ribbon lightly with vegetable oil spray before using and run between your fingers to even out the color in advance."

HTH

lovelytee Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Some people are under the hyperinflated impression that ribbon is poised and ready to attack your cake and leach all kinds of hazardous and volatile, flammable, cancer causing, impotence rendering, rash inducing, and all sorts of other crazy germs/chemicals/microbes/viruses/staphylococcal-whatsits into the cake.

It is not on there long enough to matter. I am quite sure I could sit at my desk at work all day long with a piece of ribbon soaking under my tongue and still be alive at the end of the day. But who knows...might grow a third arm in a week or so. icon_biggrin.gif

But seriously, it's ok. Really.




Jamie you are a riot icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I needed that. You are absolutely right!

PollyMaggs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #15 of 18

Ok... another ribbon question...How do you attach the ribbon to itself at the back of the cake? Using it for the first time in 2 weeks...Thanks

__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyMaggs

Ok... another ribbon question...How do you attach the ribbon to itself at the back of the cake? Using it for the first time in 2 weeks...Thanks




Lot's of ways! If it's fondant, double sided tape, allowing the ribbon to overlap at it's end a wee bit for the tape to grab onto. Or RI, or a dab of BC.

If it's BC, I have always succeeded in it adhering slightly all by itself after awhile, nothing needed to get it to stick. However, if this is a crusting BC, I think ya gotta use a bit of icing or something.

PollyMaggs Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks Jamie....double sided tape....Great idea...I learn something new everyday
Thanks again

linstead Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #18 of 18

I recently had to attach satin ribbon around the middle sections of a two tiered cake. I put double sided tape on the back side of the ribbon and then cut a similar length/width (to the ribbon) of waxed paper and stuck that over the tape. Then I was able to attached the ribbon to the cake with small dots of buttercream and because of the waxed paper no grease came through onto the ribbon. Worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%