Fresh Bananas...how Long?

Decorating By josumiko Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm by MrsMabe

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 7

I was thinking of using fresh banana slices with imbc as filling for my son's bday cake (chocolate). How long before hand can it be filled without getting gross?
I have used fresh bananas before, but only on simple cakes that were filled, decorated and served the same day. I am hoping to fill and ice on thursday, and decorate on friday, and the party is saturday at noon...would this be okay?

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure but wouldn't the bananas looks super brown and by then? I certainly wouldn't want to eat a fruit that isn't fresh. I "personally" suggest that you make it the same day or just think of a different filling instead.

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 7

I've used in a cake that I made in the afternoon, and the next morning the bananas were still OK. By that evening, however, they were already pretty brown. I LOVE bananas in a cake, but I wouldn't use them unless you were going to serve on the same day.

groovymonkeydesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
groovymonkeydesigns Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

The restaurant I work in, our Banana Cream pies are only good for 24hrs and then they go straight into the garbage.

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 7

Hi! I also tried using fresh bananas in my filling. I tried slicing and mashing and they turned brown the next day. I tried putting them in lemon juice and sprite and the same thing happened so I used stage 3 banana baby food. It turned out pretty good. I just added the baby food until I liked the final taste. This filling lasted a few days and didn't turn brown. Hope this helps.

Sandy

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks, maybe I'll try the baby food...how 'bout fresh strawberries? Or would these break down too quickly also?

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSG177

Hi! I also tried using fresh bananas in my filling. I tried slicing and mashing and they turned brown the next day. I tried putting them in lemon juice and sprite and the same thing happened so I used stage 3 banana baby food. It turned out pretty good. I just added the baby food until I liked the final taste. This filling lasted a few days and didn't turn brown. Hope this helps.

Sandy

Oh my goodness, baby food! What a great idea!! I've been wracking my brain for a good way to do fruit fillings without ending up with soggy fruit. This is why I love cake central!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%