No Frosing On The Tops Of Layer 2 And 3 Help

Decorating By penster1 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm by tyty

penster1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penster1 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

When it comes time to unstack and cut a wedding cake how do you keep the frosting from layer 2 from sticking to the bottom of board from the fist layer? Every time I try, the top layer is the only one that gets any frosting; at least on the top.

5 replies
Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 6

Just guessing here (I am sure someone else that knows for sure will come along!) but maybe use a crusting buttercream and then cornstarch or powdered sugar on the top of the cake where the next tier will sit would help? Good question! I am anxious to see others thoughts!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

I'm not sure how this would work, but maybe put wax paper between the tier and the cake board. i'm not sure if you can avoid that, but i'm not an experienced wedding cake assembler.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 6

If you're pulling the frosting off the layer beneath you may be cutting your dowels too short. The upper cake should be resting on the dowels and barely touching the cake below. If you look at indydebi's web site http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html you'll see where the cake above was sitting but the frosting is still in tact. Are you using a crusting BC? If not try indydebi's recipe found on CC.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

before stacking make sure your icing has crusted, then place either powdered sugar or coconut flakes on the cake before adding the seperator plate. icon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I'm not sure how this would work, but maybe put wax paper between the tier and the cake board. i'm not sure if you can avoid that, but i'm not an experienced wedding cake assembler.

That's what I do, works every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%