Wedding Cake Prices

Decorating By frugaljenn Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm by indydebi

frugaljenn Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 11

we have been making cakes on side as a hobby and have been getting more and more offers.. most have been friends so we havent charged much, but after seeing what we spend to make the cakes we are not making much if any profit.

so we got an order for a 2 tier wedding cake that serves 20, what would be a fair price for a nonfriend
thanks

10 replies
tye Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 11

depends on the decorations... wedding cakes can be $3-$6 per slice. There is a great Cake Matrix in the forum. It breaks down everything you'll spend to make it and then your hourly rate and will tell you what to charge for the cake.. check it out

Lalady Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 11

This sounds like exactly what I've been looking for. But I can't find it. Can someone let me know where to look?

tye Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 11

Go to Cake Business and find this folder...Pricing matrix...get it here

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 11

Can you make a two-tiered cake to serve only 20? icon_confused.gif A 6/8 serves 12/24, total 36 servings.

tye Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 11

thats probably as close as you can get.. i generally will have a cake that feeds just a little more than requested.. i still charge based on the brides order.

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

thats probably as close as you can get.. i generally will have a cake that feeds just a little more than requested.. i still charge based on the brides order.

In that case, I would like a 10" round, 2 layer cake. I'm going to feed 2 people with it. So, you only need, like, four bucks, right? icon_cool.gif

no, no, no, no, no. You charge for a cake based on how many people it's designed to feed ..... NOT based on how many pieces they plan to cut from it.

This is where the KFC analogy comes in. A 12 pc bucket is designed to feed 6 people, based on 2 pcs per person. But if your family "decides" that 4 pieces of chicken is a serving, you don't get it for half price just because you're only feeding 3 people with it instead of 6.

I've done that. Someone called one day and wanted a sheet cake to serve 10. icon_confused.gif I told them my smallest sheet served 35. They said ok. Did I charge them only $15 ($1.50 x 10 servings)? Heck No!!! They paid the $50 and had cake for 35.

tye Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:27pm
post #8 of 11

Like I said, mine arent too far from the mark so I've never had to adjust it that much. If someone wanted a 3 tier to feed only 20 people then of course I have a bottom price and you go up from there.

PinkZiab Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 11

I don't care if they want a cake to feed 35 and 36 is as close as I come... they will pay for ALL 36 servings... I'm not in the business of handing out free cake servings.

To the OP, it will really depend on how fancy a cake it's going to be... simple buttercream with a piped border and swiss dots? All fondant with scrollworka nd sugar flowers? Huge price difference between those two... Also, what do cakes go for where you live? That's a big difference... identical cakes in New York City and East Corncob Iowa (no offense to my Iowan sisters out there lol) will not be priced the same. We'll definitely need more info to help you out.

Eisskween Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Can you make a two-tiered cake to serve only 20? icon_confused.gif A 6/8 serves 12/24, total 36 servings.

So what would that be? A six and a four to serve 20? icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

It reminds me of the bride that wanted a three-tier to serve 15. icon_confused.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So what would that be? A six and a four to serve 20? icon_rolleyes.gif LOL

It reminds me of the bride that wanted a three-tier to serve 15. icon_confused.gif

You know, I hate screwing around with a 6" (I will not do them as a stand alone cake ... only when it's a wedding cake top tier), so screwing around with a lousy 4" would get a BIG PITA charge! They might as well buy the bigger cake. I got overhead to pay and a 4" cake doesn't pay it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%