Baseball Cap Cake

Decorating By Acdogs Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm by sweetideas

Acdogs Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I know that I saw instuctions for a baseball cap cake, does anyone know how I can find them? I did a search and i only got pictures. Thank you for your help.

Karen

5 replies
Bellatheball Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 6

I know the Confetti Cakes book has some good, details instructions. I'm not sure what might be online.

tye Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

I just did one and sent instructions through a message board.. hope this helps a little..

Hat - This is an 8 inch round on the bottom. On top I baked in a metal mixing bowl (second to the smallest size) o sports ball, However, I have carved this from two 8 inches stacked. just round off the top layer and fill in with icing to get its shape, I also carve down the top on four sides a little to make it uneven to look like a hat. then freeze. cover in fondant, while fondant is still soft, i use a Wilton roller that indents the stitches. Before i had that i simply used the tip of a knife and did if one by one, sounds grueling but was actually fast. The button on top is self explanatory and then make 6 little divets to sit in between the "stitching"

Brim - the day before I cover the cake, I take a real hat and outline the brim on a piece of paper. Cover the outline with wax paper and cut fondant from that stencil. I usually have to cut it down a bit to fit the cake (cut from the side that will touch the cake), while still soft, imprint the stitching.. and then place it (with wax paper) on top of the real hat to set up. by the time you do the cake it will be firm enough to keep its shape but will have some give for you to play with it.

Finishing. I just roll a thin strand of fondant and place it on the seem between the cake and brim and then around the whole cake. Makes it look clean.

jer702 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for that Tye and thanks to the OP for asking this question. I was very curious as well. Thanks guys.

Acdogs Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you very much I am going to give it a try.

sweetideas Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tye

I just did one and sent instructions through a message board.. hope this helps a little..

Hat - This is an 8 inch round on the bottom. On top I baked in a metal mixing bowl (second to the smallest size) o sports ball, However, I have carved this from two 8 inches stacked. just round off the top layer and fill in with icing to get its shape, I also carve down the top on four sides a little to make it uneven to look like a hat. then freeze. cover in fondant, while fondant is still soft, i use a Wilton roller that indents the stitches. Before i had that i simply used the tip of a knife and did if one by one, sounds grueling but was actually fast. The button on top is self explanatory and then make 6 little divets to sit in between the "stitching"

Brim - the day before I cover the cake, I take a real hat and outline the brim on a piece of paper. Cover the outline with wax paper and cut fondant from that stencil. I usually have to cut it down a bit to fit the cake (cut from the side that will touch the cake), while still soft, imprint the stitching.. and then place it (with wax paper) on top of the real hat to set up. by the time you do the cake it will be firm enough to keep its shape but will have some give for you to play with it.

Finishing. I just roll a thin strand of fondant and place it on the seem between the cake and brim and then around the whole cake. Makes it look clean.

great info. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%