I'm Making My First 3 Teired Cake...

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm by bmarlow001

bmarlow001 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 7

I am FINALLY venturing out and going to make my first 3 tiered cake and I have a few questions...

How do I transport the cake? put together or in peices?
What is the best thing t o use to divide the cake layers?
Do I need a dowel that goes entirely through the cake?

And if there is any other advice that anyone may be able to give to help me out that would be GREAT!

Thank you so so so much!
Brittany icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Brittany,

I too am doing my first 3 tiered stacked cake. From courses and videos and books I have learned you need to dowel the cakes and also run a dowel through the entire thing. I heard about SPS stacking system its supposed to be a good way to transport stacked cakes.

You can find info on SPS in the forums I believe.

Good luck and happy caking,

Stacy thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

bashini Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, the SPS system is quite good when you transport stacked cake. But I have transported cakes with dowels too. You need to dowel the bottom tier and middle tier. I use thick cake cards under the tiers that go on the top. Inserting a centre dowel is a very good idea. icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7

So is the best idea to put the center dowel in the bottom tier and then add the top tiers to where the dowel is going through the bottom of the tiers? I guess I just dont know how I would know where the hole is in my cake card.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Eisskween Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 7

Measure the diameter of your cake circle and put the hole exact center. After stacking, measure your cake to find the exact center. The hole should be right at direct center.

I like taking my cakes in individual tiers and setting them up at the venue. This way, I don't have to worry as much about bumps and the cake shifting, but that's just me.

Good luck, I am sure you will do fabulous!

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, stack and then center dowel. Good luck.

bmarlow001 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 7

This might be silly to say but I guess I need to invest in a ruler! lol! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%