Damn You Scratch Baking! (Rant)

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 3:45am by BeeBoos-8599_

whisperingmadcow Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 7

So when I was growing up, my mother used to make the BEST chocolate cake EVER! It was dense and moist and had a thick layer of frosting/fudge over the top. And ever birthday she would ask me what cake I wanted and of course it was always that one. icon_lol.gif

Well, I do have the recipe but the problem is that I live in Colorado now and high altitude baking is no good! I have tried to make it countless times but every time I do, it overflows or its dry or it sinks in the center. Or all three! thumbsdown.gif

So I found this old old baking cookbook from the 50's at the Good Will this weekend and purchased it for like $1.50. It has instructions on how to modify recipes for high altitude! Awesome! So I make the mod's and try it again. But it turns out like a brownie, too dense. And the outside is hard and chewy, well the center is almost undercooked, like a brownie! icon_mad.gif I hate living at this high altitude because I can never get anything to work!

Hm! icon_mad.gif Thats my rant.

6 replies
txsteph Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 7

Have you tried using a heating core or a flower nail in your cake when baking? It helps bake evenly, that might help.

blondeez Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 7

Im sorry to hear this happened to you. I know how frusterating that can be.

costumeczar Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 7

mmmm, that actually sounds good to me! You can just send that "failed' cake right along to my house! icon_biggrin.gif

diane706 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:33am
post #5 of 7

I live in Colorado as well. I had issues when I first moved here until I MADE myself use the flower nail (two for my 12x18 cakes) AND the cake strips. I never bake a cake without them and they come out beautiful! Having said that, I'm a WASC baker so that may make a difference. HTH Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif (Also, I use a commercial oven...)

JanH Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #7 of 7

I was born and raised in Colorado and now I am in Missouri. I hate that all of my moms baking recepies are for high altitude and I cant translate them to baking down here. I feel your pain. Now, if you would like to share I am looking for a really good chocolate cake and frosting recepie. hint hint

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%