Stacking Sheet Cakes

Decorating By marnie Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm by marnie

marnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marnie Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 3

I have a client that wants me to stack a 1/2 sheet cake on top of a full sheet cake for her wedding, and she would like it stacked by using pillars instead of directly on top of each other. Any helpful tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated (I've never stacked any cakes of this size or used pillars). Thanks so much for your help

2 replies
nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 3

I've never stacked sheet cakes either (in fact I don't even offer them!) but here's what came to mind for me. I would use the same techniques as you would if you were stacking regular tiered cakes, ie dowels for support, etc. For the "plates" I would use foam board -- doubled up for under the sheet cake. (I cover mine with white contact paper when I need a quick easy cake board). For stability, depending on what type of pillar you use, you could drive a dowel through the top board, down through the inside of the pillar, and into the bottom cake to the base. To distribute the weight evenly I would suggest putting the pillars in about 3-4 inches in from the edges, or considering putting one or two in the center and four on the corners. Hope this is understandable and helps!

marnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marnie Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 3

thankyou for your ideas...that was kind of what i was thinking but just wanted to see what other people suggested. (The only reason I'm agreeing to do this kind of cake is because it's my uncle's wedding)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%