Cake Decorating Dvds?

Decorating By dovelady Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm by TooMuchCake

dovelady Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 24

I have take the Wilton classes and learned a lot but the classes are so rushed. I called my local community college and they dont have any classes for the summer and dont know if they will for fall or not.
I have seen comments about DVDs available for learning. Would love some recomendations for good detailed DVDs for decorating.

23 replies
cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 24

I just got SugarShack's DVD's and they are awesome!! She has a whole selection of them at

cupcakemkr Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 24

Hi! I recommend SugarShacks dvd's. I only have 2 so far but plan to get the fondant and stacking videos soon.

I have learned SO much from watching her techniques and her prices are reasonable. Jennifer Dontz has great instructional dvd's as well.

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 24

I'd suggest Jennifer Dontz's DVDs and Sugarshack's.

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 24

Jennifer Dontz also have 2 very good DVDs that are reasonalably priced. Her name on CC is jennifermi

dovelady Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 24

I only see two on Jennifers site.. both fondant. Am I missing something?

cupcakemkr Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 24
Originally Posted by dovelady

I only see two on Jennifers site.. both fondant. Am I missing something?

here is Jennifer Dontz's website:

mprout Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 24

I have a few of the sugarshack DVDs . They have helped lots

klat7292 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 24

Sugarshack all the way!! thumbs_up.gif

Your caking experience will never be the same!! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 24

As I stated above there is only 2 on Jennifer's site. You didn't say if you were looking for fondant or BC. BCJean has several BC only

blondeez Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 24

Not to take away from anyones DVD's. So please dont roast me, have you thought of looking on Youtube first to see what you are looking for. I know there are alot of people from here that post videos and then you can get an idea of what you want to learn before you buy. Just an idea.

cupcakemkr Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 24

very true, serious_cakes and tonedna have GREAT how to videos on Youtube

neelycharmed Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 24

I wasn't looking for new dvd's but now I am~!
My husband will just love that! lol

dovelady Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 24

I got to looking and I found these....

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 24

I love the sugarshack ones on BC and fondant, great tips and methods. I just preordered the topsy turvy one, can't wait to get it

Uniqueask Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #16 of 24

I agree I have all of sugarshack's DVD's and love them, I learned so much from them, I also hear Jennifer Dontz has great ones too Hopefully I will get her to come to my home next year to do some classes, so all you Upstaters who live close to Albany or are willing to drive a few hours and are interested in taking classes with Jennifer Dontz, I will Post as soon as Jen gets back to me her classes are $250 and she will email me when she starts scheduling for next Year. Sorry not trying to steal your post Just got a little carried away.

Bellatheball Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #17 of 24

I have SugarShack's Buttercream and Fondant. None of the techniques reinvent the wheel but everything you need to know is put together in a very clear, concise and understandable way. They are both excellent.

katherinem Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:43am
post #18 of 24

A few days ago i ordered 3 from Sugarshack - can't wait to get them - i'll get the other 2 a little later. Can't wait to get them though.[/quote]

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:12pm
post #19 of 24

If you'd like to learn gumpaste flowers, Michele Foster (Sugarflowers here on CC) has a DVD out that shows how she made her signature heart-shaped floral arrangement. It's called Bloomin' Garden. There is a DVD on cake sculpture at the same place.

dovelady Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 24

Deanna, those flowers on her site are beautiful!!! Thanks for posting about it.

Donnagardner Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #21 of 24

I have all of Shugarshacks and Jennifer Dontz DVD's and love them. They are all must haves as far as I am concerned and worth every penny!!

dovelady Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #22 of 24

Deanna, I looked at your site. OMG!! You are soo talented!!

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #23 of 24

I have two of Sharon's (buttercream and fondant), one of Jen's (fondant frills), Michele's ... they are all excellent. I would also like to throw in a pitch for Nicholas Lodge's DVD's. It all depends on what you want to learn, but I have several of his gumpaste DVD's ... Gumpaste Roses and Wedding Cakes, Tropical and Exotic Flowers (I was lucky enough to take this class from him), Sunflower and Hydrangea, Gardenia and Peony. They are 2-2 1/2 hours long and teach two flowers, so they are pretty detailed.

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #24 of 24

Thanks, Dovelady!

Quote by @%username% on %date%