Cake Mix Vs. Cake Mix

Decorating By cakes22 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm by CakesByJen2

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 10

So I bought some BC cake mix cause it was on sale. I usually am a DH baker but thought I would try something different.
I made BC White Cake, and it's yucky. I have often heard people say that they can "taste chemicals" in cake mix. I never really gave it a thought, but this cake has a definite chemical taste to it. I have made DH White cake several times (too many too count) and it tastes way better.

Also, I got 28 cupcakes out of DH and 21 cupcakes out of BC (there is a 5 gram difference).

For you box makers, have you noticed a difference between the brands?

9 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 10

I had started a thread about this a while back icon_lol.gif may have gotten lost in the shuffle...but yes, a lot of bakers do notice the difference. Especially when you switch boxes. I have been using Pillsburry for the last couple years and I love it! But when I use BC or DH I notice the chemical taste.

my question is...do you notice this after taste when mixing the batter or after baked?

cakes22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 10

When I mixed it, it smelled fine, tasted similar to DH. The taste came after the cuppies were baked. I asked my DH to taste one and he said it tasted off (he is used to DH too).

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 10

Funny- I use all three with the same results. I guess if I HAD to choose I'd pick BC, but I'm pretty happy with whatever I can get on sale. I do agree though that you don't get as many servings from Pillsbury... I usually doctor with an extender so it makes up for it.

teresa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa13 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 10

DH is the "only" mix I use. Tastes better, more batter, better texture. Another plus!! - DH is usually the only one they put on sale at our Wal-Mart!! When I have to use BC because the store is out of white DH I use double the amount I usually do just to get my cake layers to rise to at least 2 inches each.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 10

DH is my choice of mixes also. Never noticed any chemical taste. Love the french vanilla and the dark chocolate fudge.

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 10

I've always used the supermarket brand (Hannaford) where I shop. It's the cheapest by far. I tried some Duncan Hines the other day. Blech! [Ducking and running! icon_biggrin.gif ]

I guess it's just what you're used to. My supermarket brand makes an excellent cake!

cakes22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 10

I happened to have a no-name brand of white cake mix (bought it just to see) so I baked some cuppies this morning, and low and behold, they actually taste similar to DH's. (way better the BC) I wonder if DH makes the no-name brand.
I used to work for a yogurt company and we made tons of yogurt for other very well know companies along with the storebrand.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 10

Glad to see I'm not the only who still uses box mix!Anyway I prefer DH I also love love love the dark chocolate fudge,it's the yumiest!I also like the taste of pillsbury but it is so moist if you make a very large cake it tends to fall apart.I found this out the hard way when I made a wedding cake for my brother and it fell apart on the way there.I didn't even get a picture and it turned out great,well other than the falling apart,anyway my mom and I pieced it back together with toothpicks! icon_cry.gif Since then I have switched to DH since I have started doing 3D cakes and it is a lot firmer and easier to deal with. icon_smile.gif

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 10

It depends on the flavor. For white, I think Pillsbury as far better flavor and texture-wise and less artifical tasting than DH or BC (though I agree it does yield slightly less), but I don't like P for anything else. For chocolate flavors, I don't see a big difference between BC & DH, but I have a slight preference for the BC texture.

I do use Dh for strawberry because either BC doesn't make one or the stores here don't carry it. Another flavor I see a big difference in is lemon. Between BC & DH, DH has a very weak flavor, more of a vanilla cake with a hint of lemon than a true lemony cake. I think BC lemon is much better. I've never been brave enough to try the store brands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%