Very Nearly Almost Threw

Decorating By dutchy1971 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm by Rylan

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 6

not one, but two cakes at the wall tonight.

I was doing the icing my cakes ready for my final class tomorrow night. We're doing a two tiered wedding cake. I spent all weekend baking cakes with new recipes, decorated a cake for my sister, had a friend over to taste for her wedding, so finally tonight I got around to icing my 2 cakes. I thought I would do fondant................... that idea was scraped once I lay the fondant on my 1st cake and the whole cake shifted to one side not sure why as it had been left after being filled to set up since last night, pushed it back straight and the fondant ripped. I carefully as I could pulled the fondant off and ripped 1/2 my cake with it.

Fastforward about 20 mins and I decide the fondant just isn't going to work, I fixed the cake as best as possible and made a batch of buttercream. The same buttercream I use every week with no problems, until tonight. With every stroke bits of the cakes came with it. Have no idea what I was doing wrong. In the end I just lathered the icing on so it's really thick, but at least its covered, then I waited for awhile to smooth it, no matter what I did the icing either came off in lumps or would just smoosh, I tried using wax paper, kitchen paper, hot spatula. So finally after 2 hours of some choice words, a few minor temper tantrums, a few very close to tears moments, and a very deep breath ( the next action was throwing it) i thought sod it I wet my hands under hot water and started rubbing. Probably the smoothest cake I've done so far.

Still have no idea why my fondant did what it did or why my buttercream turned out the way it did, must be the heat in the house tonight or something. I just need a little vent so thanks for letting me.

BTW I got through all this without a complete meltdown and I just quit smoking 3 weeks ago so I'm actually quite proud of my self.

5 replies
arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #2 of 6

I had the same experience with my buttercream.... even i wanna know y tht happened.....

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #3 of 6

It's called a bad cake day icon_biggrin.gif I'm not sure there's always an explanation for it. It's just a bad thing that happens sometimes. I know I've had a few.

Congrats on quitting smoking! I quit a year and a half ago and believe me, you will get to a point where you no longer wish for one...I even got through a nasty broken leg and surgery without giving in to the urge to light up (partly because docs said my leg wouldn't heal right or maybe not at all if I started smoking again)

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

Glad I'm not alone. I swear these cakes are jinxed. I never have a problem transporting my cakes. I drive to work put them in a fridge then drive to class after work, never a problem, Until today. I got to work one cake big smooshed side on it and the bigger one had a close save, I forgot to glue the board to a fancy board and it was just about to slide into the side of the box. If these cakes actually make it to being decorated in class tonight it willbe a miracle lol

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 6

when things go wrong for me, i have to work real hard to hit the work top, not the cake! at least the sane part of me rembers that punching the cake can not in any way help!
xx

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 6

I've been there. Plan B, C, D, E , F , G is always a great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%