Questions For A Simple Cake!

Decorating By NewBaker82 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm by Rylan

NewBaker82 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:30am
post #1 of 7

Hello all! I am new to the whole cake making craze and I need some help. My daughter is turning 3 in a week and we are having a birthday party on Sunday. I made her birthday cake last year, a simple large sheet cake, it was ok. I have only made cakes from boxed cake mixes. This year I am going to do the same (cake from a box). I will be making two different cakes. The regular sheet cake and then a 10in round and 8in round stacked. My question refer to the 10in and 8in round cakes. While at the local cake supply store today I asked the owner for any advice. My thoughts were that the 8in round would sit directly on top of the 10in round. She said no, that I will put an 8in board under the 8in cake and use rods to support it. My questions are:
Do I have to do that?
Is it not possible to have my 8in sit directly on top the 10in?
What might happen if I do it that way?
I am looking for any suggestions or advice! The cake I am trying to make looks very simple. It's a Princess themed birthday. So on top of my 8in I am putting a Princess Crown, just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do.
Please help, it's Tuesday and her party is on Sunday and I need to know what to do and what NOT to do!

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 7

Unless you are Sandra Lee (joking!), yes you must put supports. That 8" will be heavy and will sink into the bottom tier, and you will have a wreck on your hands. Dowels, straws, something. Check out the forums in here and you'll find all sorts of advice. JanH may come along and post a list of helpful links...she keeps a whole list of them handy!

NewBaker82 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:56am
post #3 of 7

While at the supply shop I bought dowel rods, like the lady said. Not that I didn't believe her just wanted to check. Now I have to figure out how to do this. I was just looking at some of the pictures in the gallery! I am completely amazed. What I'm trying to do is so simple compared to what you ladies have done! I think I may have gotten in over my head with this forum! lol Thanks again for the advice in advance!

NewBaker82 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 7

txsteph Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 7

It is a rather simple thing to do. Ice your 10in, put your 8in on a cake board, ice it .. place straws or dowels in the 10 in where your top cake will sit, cut them even with the top of 10in cake. ( you want them from bottom to top all the way through, but not sticking out of the top of the 10 in. put some extra icing, not a lot, but just enough to stick Place 8 inch on top .. the straws or dowels will support the top from sinking into the 10in. You will probably only need 4 or 5 straws or dowels. That is what I did for my daughters castle cake in my pics, 5 straws, one in middle & the other 4 even spaced around.

txsteph Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7

And I just used regular drinking straws .. easy to cut off once placed all the way down into the 10in. It sat all night & made a 20 min drive the next afternoon just fine.

But you do have to use cake board under the 8 .. otherwise it will not work, you can trace around the pan & cut it out of a larger cake board too, if you do not want to buy any round boards.

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

I guess it has been all explained very well. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%