Cardboard Boards Vs Styrofoam Boards?

Decorating By helen3743 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm by helen3743

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:53am
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone had any input about one being better than another to use, or is just a matter of preference?

Thanks in advance! =]

13 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:42am
post #2 of 14

I don't use cardboard rounds at all, I use custom cut foam core for the cake "circles" and English style drums/custom cut foam core for the actual decorative bases. I cover with Glad press and seal before putting cake on them.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:35am
post #3 of 14

I personally only use cardboard boxes in between tiers and I use wood for the whole cake to sit on.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 14

Die hard Foam core fan here. Only thing i use. Custom cut for each cake.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 14

this may be a dumb question, but is the foam core just the white foam boards you can buy at a craft store? how thick is it? how do you best cut it? ok, that was three dumb questions icon_smile.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 14

I use cardboard rounds for 8 inch and under, custom cut foamcore for all others. I like cake drums for decorative bases.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

this may be a dumb question, but is the foam core just the white foam boards you can buy at a craft store? how thick is it? how do you best cut it? ok, that was three dumb questions icon_smile.gif

Lol....yes, 1/2 inch and smaller size which I forget now, best cut with hot knife and/or big box cutter....awesome stuff!!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 14

I use foam core for my tiers, the base - the whole shabang! Won't use cardboard ever - too flimsy.

drakegore Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 14

thank you jamie! i am going to try this! i like the idea of having a nice big guide for smoothing (cause i need all the help i can get in that dept...).
diane

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 14

It helps immensely! I put each cake tier on it's own foam core circle, the same size as the cake, maybe a little bigger. Then, put that on another precut foam. I put all of that on the turntable, ice the cake, and with my bench scraper, smooth away using the outer largest foam cirlce as the guide. Carefully pop in the fridge to set, and then remove the cake from the larger foam core circle. Perfectly smooth straight icing, and no border whatsoever. Works great!

drakegore Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 14

i love that idea! you're terrific! thank you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 14

cardboards rounds all the way. A single cardboard between tiers for stacked cakes, and I'll wrap up 2 or 3 boards for a base. I buy them by the case and don't have to spend any time cutting them.

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Die hard Foam core fan here. Only thing i use. Custom cut for each cake.

thumbs_up.gif

I also use the Glad Press n Seal to cove the foam core (food safety first! icon_wink.gif )

I use the press n seal for just about anything I can...AWESOME stuff (so is the FOAM CORE!!) icon_lol.gif

HTH

helen3743 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helen3743 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks all for your input!!

Generally it seems that most lean towards using the foam cores over cardboard.

I guess with anything it depends what works best for the individual; i'll have to experiment.. but i'm looking forward to using the foam =]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%