Filling A 9X13 To Get 2" High Cake???

Decorating By kellertur Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm by mombabytiger

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #1 of 12

Hello,
I am trying to figure out if my recipe will fill a 9x13 pan and get a 2" baked cake. I've tried this many times with recipes that say they are for this pan, and they come out 1". (Very frustrating)

If a recipe calls for 2 8" rounds or equivalent (2 1/2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cup sugar, etc) will this be enough to yeild a 2" cake, 9x13? I don't measure my batter by the cups, so when I see that a pan call for "X" cups batter, it only frustrates me. (I'm not a fan of making sheet cakes...)

Thank you so much if you can help me crack this code. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 12

A recipe that yields 2 8" round cakes is the equivalent of 1 box cake mix. If you put 1 box cake mix in a 2" deep 9x13, it will be shallow. I use 1 1/2 boxes for a 9x13 that is deep enough to torte and fill. That would mean you would need 1 1/2 times your recipe to get enough for that 9x13. The 9x13 that I use is Wilton brand and it is larger than the 9x13 no name pans that I use sometimes (which are really more like 8x12) I hope this helps you and isn't too confusing like I sometimes am. lol

kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:35am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, I'll try adding another 1/2 recipe. I didn't think people torted sheet cakes?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

As much as it sucks to deal with measuring batter it would be helpful to do, atleast once, and write that amount on your recipe. That way in the future when you have a pan that calls for a certain amount you have a number to start with.

They have to say a cake pan takes so many cups of batter cause that can translate over several different areas. If they said a cake pan took a box of cake mix then you run into two issues. The different brands and even different flavors with in brands makes different amounts of batter. And then you have those that don't deal with box mixes and would still need to know how much to use. Not all scratch recipes make the same amounts so then you can't really say it takes one recipe, since that isn't always the case.

And yes you can torte a sheet cake. There are even people that do two layer sheet cakes. icon_smile.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #5 of 12

I use three cake mix. So I bake 1 1/2 in each pan to get it just rght. So by the time I trim off top fill and add second layer and frost I have a nice decent size sheet cake. (aprox 4" high) if not a little more.

kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone. Not that it makes any difference, but I'm a scratch baker so measuring batter is a bit tricky since I lose leavening time if I don't stick it right into the pan and oven. (that made sense in my head, but putting it in writing, it lost something...sorry) icon_redface.gif

I don't plan on torting because I think I'm undercharging. It's a 1/2 sheet (2 9x13 put together), all buttercream with a freehanded drawing in BC on top. I'm charging: $110.00...
(I didn't take into account a lot of extra work...I was just excited to get an order outside "boring").

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 12

Just out of curiosity, HOW do you torte a sheet cake? I've been wanting to do it but I'm afraid the whole thing will fall apart? TIA

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 12

K2cakes, do you have a big measuring cup like the pampered chef 8 cup one? Or Pyrex has a 4 cup one. I know it does take away time from getting it in the oven but those would be quicker than the individual measuring cup.

Mombabytiger, you torte a sheet the same way you would any big cake. To remove the torted layer you can slide a cake board between them or a cookie sheet that doesn't have a raised side.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 12

I just always make sure to fill my cake pans 1/2 to 3/4 full. I usually need 2 boxes of mix for a 9x13 pan which I think is about 12 cups icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 12

I do have the Pampered Chef batter bowls, but hardly ever use them for batter. icon_redface.gif I love them, but they usually end up "storing things" inside them, like leftover bagged gumpaste or cocoa... That's not a bad idea though.

Seriously, the "math" in baking really freaks me out... I'm scared if I change things it's going to be a disaster. By "measuring", however more accurate it might be, I know I'm in for a night of wasted ingredients. icon_sad.gif
Although, in the end it will be worth it to know the answer.

I'm very rebellious in the kitchen, and I really have to fight to stick to the "rules", as it is... baking is just so unforgiving, unlike cooking.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 12

to torte a large sheet cake, I use 2 of those big wilton cake lifters, they work great for lifting large layers. I got them at Michaels using a coupon so they weren't that expensive

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks Texas and Patty! I'll try both of those ideas!
I LOVE this site!!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%