What Brand Of Hi Ratio Shortening Do You Use?

Business By howsweet Updated 14 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm by Loucinda

howsweet Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 11

Are they significantly different? I bought Penguin this time because it was cheaper -- the Sweetex was more than twice as much. Is it more expensive because it tastes better? I've never tried it.

My supplier has about 5 different ones. I'm not confident of my own tasting because of my allergies. But I think maybe the stuff is not so good and I only use one part shortening to 2 parts butter.

Opinions?

10 replies
350BakerStreet Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:17am
post #2 of 11

I use Sweetex, only because it's the only brand that the local cake store carries. I really like it, since it whips up nice and fluffy.

leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 11

I use Alpine. I have recently discovered the difference between Alpine C (made with Canola oil) and Alpine (made with soybean oil, I think.) I prefer Alpine simply because it's whiter.

lorrieg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 11

I'm using Sweetex right now. So far so good! icon_smile.gif

klat7292 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

thumbs_up.gif I JUST started using Sweetex this past weekend and can I tell you it is like NIGHT AND DAY...compared to Crisco or any other lower-ratio shortening....and I don't plan to make a switch any time soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

lorrieg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by klat7292

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrieg

thumbs_up.gif I JUST started using Sweetex this past weekend and can I tell you it is like NIGHT AND DAY...compared to Crisco or any other lower-ratio shortening....and I don't plan to make a switch any time soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

I know leah said alpine but I've never seen that one and so far my Sweetex is white, white, white. If it's not broken, don't fix it right? icon_lol.gif

No-goodLazyBum Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 11

I use Alpine then Kitchen Kraft if in a pinch.

mkolmar Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #8 of 11

Sweetex. It's the only one carried in my area and I really love the way it preforms.

howsweet Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the replies. icon_biggrin.gif I bought some Sweetex today - the flavor is so much better than the Penguin. Actually it has no flavor which is perfect. The Penguin has an awful taste that was over powering the butter and the vanilla.

I'm not too thrilled with my supplier who assured me when I bought the stuff it was the same but just didn't have a brand name.
The Sweetex was $65 for the 50lb box. How much do you guys pay? Prices are negotiable at this place and my salesman was out at the time.

mmkim Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 11

I there anyplace besides online to find sweetex? My local craft store doesn't carry it. Thanks

Loucinda Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #11 of 11

I use alpine, it is the only one I can find locally -BUT I just found a place yesterday that has sweetex though, so when this 50 pounds is gone, I am going to try sweetex to see if I can tell a difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%