What Ingredients Do You Freeze?

Decorating By hollylikescake Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 1:20am by indydebi

hollylikescake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 11

I would love to know what ingredients can be frozen. I've always kept nuts in the freezer, and I freeze cakes, but that's about it.

I've read that you can freeze butter and heavy cream, but my MIL defrosted cream cheese once while I was there and it was a nasty grainy mess. So, I haven't messed with dairy.

I also have a cook book that say you can freeze left over egg whites, but I never have left over whites. What about whole eggs. And what about yolks. I am lucky enough to have a lemon tree so I could freeze all the these yolks and make buckets of curd each year when my lemons are ripe.

What else do you guys freeze?

10 replies
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 11

Long before I did this as a "real" business, I used to take the week off at Christmas for my big cookie baking marathon. I'd buy stuff weeks in advance and would store in the freezer:
- Flour
- Sugar
- Butter/margarine
- choc chips
- nuts
- p.sugar

mclaren Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #3 of 11

i've been freezing cream cheese all the time, and my cheesecakes always turned out fine.

dhccster Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:27am
post #4 of 11
Originally Posted by mclaren

i've been freezing cream cheese all the time, and my cheesecakes always turned out fine.

I have froze cream cheese as well. I make fruit dip (cream cheese and marshmallow cream) with it. I haven't made anything else with it, but that is good to know that a cheesecake would still come out fine.

dhccster Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:48am
post #5 of 11

Can you freeze whipped ganache???

sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:55am
post #6 of 11

I freeze butter because I buy LOADS when it's on sale. Never a problem. I freeze buttermilk, too and it always defrosts nicely. My aunt has a lemon tree so I completely understand wanting to freeze lemon curd. I've never thought about freezing yolks, always the opposite. I zested several dozens of lemons and mixed in a few tablespoons of sugar to keep it fresh, then froze that in a huge ziplock stored in a tupperware. I use that zest all the time and it's great. very flavorful, can't tell it's not just zested!

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:53am
post #7 of 11

I freeze butter and nuts as well. I have a friend and saw milk in their freezer -- not so sure how that performs.

I've frozen cream cheese and ended up crumbly-like. I forgot how it looked like but I remember that I hate it. If I'm not mistaken, it says on the box that creem cheese performs well if it wasn't frozen. Not sure how they worded it but that's what I recall.

ibmoser Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 11

Interesting info on freezing eggs

hollylikescake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 11:58am
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone. Maybe I'll try cream cheese. I have no idea how long MIL's was in the freezer. And I am going to try butter and eggs too. Eggs were just on sale for 88 cents for 18 eggs. That's cheap for my area & got me thinking about this.

Do you think freezing sugar makes it clumpy?

ibmoser Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 11

Hmmmmmmm... don't see why you would need to freeze sugar. Just seal it up to keep moisture and critters out and save your valuable freezer space for perishables. Properly stored sugar has an indefinite shelf life. I would think that the temperature variations of freezing to room temp would cause condensation that would lead to eventual clumping, but sifting would take care of that.

indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 1:20am
post #11 of 11

The only reason I threw mine in the freezer was just for storage ... I had way more freezer space than I did pantry space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%