Am I Fooling Myself Trying To Get White Fondant To Turn Red?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 12:31am by kylekaitlyn

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:26am
post #1 of 18

I feel like I've dumped a ton of Americolor super red and its nothing more than a light red or dark pink. I've started to lose hope. Is it even possible?! icon_cry.gif

17 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:35am
post #2 of 18

I've never used that brand, but just keep adding more. it may get too stretchy -- sometimes I add a bit of tylose, but cornstarch would probably work

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 18

I feel for you. I know how tired my arms get with light coloring. I've never tried to color fondant ..... I always buy the red fondant. (Basically, I'm a lazy person and I just don't want to work that hard. icon_redface.gif )

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #4 of 18

it's possible. Next time, try coloring it orange first, then adding red. That works really well for me.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:47am
post #5 of 18

Let it rest for at least a few hours, the more it sits the darker it will get. Americolor super red is a really good color and I've never had problems with it. I mix in enough to turn the fondant a deep pink and then wrap it up and let it sit until it develops into a rich vibrant red. Make sure you don't add too much color because it will cause your fondant to tear and be hard to work with. Good Luck.

sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #6 of 18

Okay I feel like I have a deep pink right now. My husband says I have the red that's on the Pepsi can. I had to get someone else to look at it since I didn't know what color I had anymore! So if I let it sit it should magically deepen to a real rich red?

idjitmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idjitmom Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 18

What just worked last weekend for me - I made candy clay w/ Wilton red candy melts & mixed it 50/50 w/ fondant. I had to add some red to it, but it ended up a real bright red, just what I wanted! I had to be careful not to handle it to much - for example, I rolled it out & let it sit for a few minutes before I started to work w/ it - but I've never had a better red, & it tasted great too.

But that doesn't help you right now lol. The last time I made red I was in your situation. I let it sit all night & it got a deeper hot pink lol, but next to something red it obviously wasn't red. So I painted it (it was just circles for that cake) w/ airbrush color (w/ a paint brush, I didn't have an airbrush), & that did the trick, it was perfect!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #8 of 18

It should, I've never had a problem making red as long as I let it sit and develop. If you have the time let it sit over night and see what color you have in the morning.

sweetscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetscake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #9 of 18

A week ago, I learned the hard way how difficult it is to color fondant red! I feel for you, and most likely will buy red fondant from now on.

sweet1122 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:29am
post #10 of 18

Umm... yeah, same here. Sucks Big time! Guess I'll be buying black and red from now on...

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:33am
post #11 of 18

i added some cocoa powder to try to darken mine up a bit first but it really just made the red a dull looking red but it got a little better after it sat. still not acceptable though so i used it and then lightly misted with red spray and it looke dperfect after that.

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 18

Coloring Fondant red or black is why I bought an airbrush machine. I color the fondant a dull black or red than I airbrush with the same color. It always turns out nice.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 18

yamber - I'm a bit confused, why would you color your fondant with cocoa powder if you were trying to make red? I've herd of people doing that for black, but never red.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:50pm
post #14 of 18

I use the cocoa powder for any dark color I want to achieve, including dark blue and red. That said, with respect to red and black, I just order it premade, not worth the hassle. Good luck

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #15 of 18

sayhellojana- I think the brown of cocoa powder will calm the bright red, giving it a warmer tone.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #16 of 18

When I need red I do the same as idjitmom - basically make red candy clay (melts and corn syrup). I then mix with fondant (although I guess you don't really have to use the fondant.) I add a little red color if I need to darken, but it is usually little if any that is needed.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #17 of 18

I always add a little bit of red koolaid to my melted marshmallows when I am making red mmf. Doesn't take much red coloring after that to get a nice bright red.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18

What does the red Kool-Aid do to the flavor? I've heard of using Jell-o as well, but I can't imagine a cake iced in cherry jell-o. (It may just be my strange hang-up) I really wnat to give it a try, but haven't come across anyone who has done it. I'm so interested!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%