Help With Complaint

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 5:12am by Franluvsfrosting

CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 17

What do I say to someone who has complained the cupcakes were dry and wants their next order to be more moist when in fact the cc's were not dry?
I know they were not dry, I actually got compliments from another customer who had cc's from the same batch on how moist they were.
I even tasted one left over from the batch 2 days after I delivered the cc's in question and those were'nt even dry.
So what do I say to the customer?
The only way to make them any moister is to underbake them, but I can't tell them that.
I've written a few response but they all seem to come across snotty to me and I don't want to sound snotty but I don't want to apologize for perfectly fine cupcakes, man I really hate this whole customer's always right thing, because in this case they are wrong.

16 replies
costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #2 of 17

First of all, the customer isn't always right, and a lot of people try to use that as a way to get refunds, etc. You should always be responsive to complaints, but that doesn't mean that you have to accept everything all the time.

I'd respond by saying sonething like this:

Dear customer,

I'm sorry that you were unhappy with the cupcakes. I checked with the other customer who purchased cupcakes from the same batch, and she said that hers were fine and not dry. Is there any more information that you can give me as to why the cupcakes seemed dry to you? I'd appreciate any feedback that you can give me.
Thanks in advance,
me

That way you've responded, told her that there was nothing wrong with the cupcakes as far as you know, and that you're open to more information. That's all you need to do, and she can take it from there.

Deb_ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #3 of 17

Whoever came up with "the customer is always right", must have been a customer icon_rolleyes.gif I hate that saying.

Seeing that you sold some of these same cupcakes to another client and they didn't complain, and you yourself ate one and it was fine, maybe this lady should try another flavor.

You can give 4 people a piece of cake or something and guaranteed 1 of them will have something negative to say. Taste/texture is so subjective.

If she's ordering from you again, I seriously doubt that she didn't like this last batch.

Offer to spit on them, that'll make them more "moist" icon_razz.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

shelbur10 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 17

The part I don't understand... if she thought the cupcakes were dry, why is she ordering more? Silly customer. icon_rolleyes.gif
I like costumeczar's response, polite and professional.

just_for_fun Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #5 of 17

The customer is always right.... unless she's wrong icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #6 of 17

"I'm sorry you were not happy with your order. I completely understand if you would like to go with another baker for your next order."

costumeczar Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Offer to spit on them, that'll make them more "moist" icon_razz.gif Sorry, couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

ahhahahahahahaha!!!!! icon_lol.gif

kelleym Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

"I'm sorry you were not happy with your order. I completely understand if you would like to go with another baker for your next order."

Yes, what she said. ^^^^^^

chassidyg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 17

I work as a fast food mgr. "The customer is always right" is not so anymore. More & more places are changing that to..

"The customer is NOT always right, BUT they are ALWAYS the customer"

Elise87 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #10 of 17

I don't sell cakes or anything but man have i had my share of annoying customers when i use to work at a bakery!

dorie67 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #11 of 17

I would just take the next order, make the cupcakes as I normally do, I would not change a thing. If the cupcakes were so dry, and she/he was unhappy with them they would not place another order, so obviously there wasn't anything wrong with them. princess.gif

dorie67 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:21am
post #12 of 17

I would just take the next order, make the cupcakes as I normally do, I would not change a thing. If the cupcakes were so dry, and she/he was unhappy with them they would not place another order, so obviously there wasn't anything wrong with them. princess.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Yes, what she said. ^^^^^^

I can agree with this.

You can also make her the same cupcakes you've always made and tell her you found a great new recipe that is really really moist. Then laugh away when she swoons over how good they are! icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Whoever came up with "the customer is always right", must have been a customer icon_rolleyes.gif I hate that saying.

Seeing that you sold some of these same cupcakes to another client and they didn't complain, and you yourself ate one and it was fine, maybe this lady should try another flavor.

You can give 4 people a piece of cake or something and guaranteed 1 of them will have something negative to say. Taste/texture is so subjective.

If she's ordering from you again, I seriously doubt that she didn't like this last batch.

hahaha!

back to the subject, A lot of people dont understand scratch cakes and I agree, taste/texture is subjective to what they are used to.

Tell the customer I am sorry the cupcakes weren't what you expected, that your other customers feel the cake is perfect and you cannot change your recipe. Tell them it was great doing business with them and have a nice day.

cakes22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:58pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can also make her the same cupcakes you've always made and tell her you found a great new recipe that is really really moist. Then laugh away when she swoons over how good they are! icon_lol.gif

That's what I'd do.......but I'm evil that way!!! icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

That's what I'd do.......but I'm evil that way!!! icon_evil.gificon_biggrin.gif

hahaha!! YOu guys are too much!

Franluvsfrosting Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #17 of 17

You've already gotten good responses so I won't add to it but "the customer is always right" made me think of one of my favorite websites. I love to read this one:

http://notalwaysright.com/

I actually think I got the link from CC at one point. Cracks me up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%