How Long In Advance

Decorating By specialtycakesbysara Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm by Rylan

specialtycakesbysara Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 6

How long in advance do you make your cakes. I normally like to make the cake the day before it is due and then frost it that night. Well, I am making my daughter's first birthday cake for Wednesday evening. I am going to be super busy cleaning, and working (I work from home) tomorrow, that I am thinking it would be best for me to make the cakes now. How would I store them in until I frost them tomorrow night?? I really don't want to freeze them. Would I just wrap them in saran wrap and how exactly do I do that. I don't want the cakes to loose them moist-ness. Do I cut them and then store them, or wrap them up and then cut them tomorrow when I am ready to frost them??

5 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 6

if it's a filled cake: torte, fill and crumbcoat now. then you could wrap in saran wrap, 2-3 times and box it up or put it in a cake saver. I would probably wait as late as possible tonight to do the baking. that's a few less hours of it sitting around. I'm a two day baker/decorator. I will stay up all night to bake if that means the cake is baked only one day in advance.

blondeez Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

You can bake the cake, let it cool and then wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge til you get a chance tomorrow to cut and ice. Or bake the cake cut, fill and crumb coat, put it in the fridge and ice tomorrow. Either way the cake should be fine and will be nice an moist.

Deb_ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 6

You can definitely bake the layers tonight, cool and wrap in plastic. No need to refrigerate, in fact you're better off not refrigerating unless you have a professional humidity controlled cooler.

Make all your icings and fillings tonight too.

For Saturday weddings I bake Wednesday evening or Thursday afternoon, wrap the layers well. Torte, fill and crumbcoat late Thursday evening and decorate Friday evening.

specialtycakesbysara Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 6

Ok, thanks so much. My main concern is just that the cake holds the moisture.

Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

Just wrap it with layers of plastic wrap, making sure that it is completely sealed. I then put the smaller cakes in a Ziploc bag and wrap the big ones in foil. I then put it in the freezer or the fridge. It will stay moist.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%