Cake For Someone Who Doesn't Like Cake!

Decorating By shanna_banana Updated 5 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm by shanna_banana

shanna_banana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 17

I want to make a beer bottle (the sugar kind) cake for my brother-n-law, but he doesn't like really sweet stuff. Mostly he likes fruit with whipped cream (the real stuff, not too sweet). And I think he likes apple pie--the plain kind, not the one with crumbles on top.

I was thinking plain white cake, torted with different layers of fruit (as basic as I can make the fruit and still use it as filling). I could use stabilized whipped cream (he can toss the fondant or give it to his boys). Anyone have any other ideas? TIA

16 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 17

what is the event? is it a party? if so, i assume thre would be other people there and a cake would probably be the best bet, you could do a white cake with say, strawberry and whipped cream filling.
that would give you the opportunity to do the sugar beer bottle. other than that i really don't know how you could incorporate a beer bottle into an apple pie! unless you did like a picnic theme or something with an apple pie, some beer, sandwiches etc. i guess it depends on the event, what the cake is for.
sorry if this is rambling.

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 17

You're on the right trackicon_smile.gif Fruits you could use are (dry) berries (strawberries, raspberry), &/or slices of banana.
Yes, whipped cream can be used but needs to be done as close to serving time as possible.

shanna_banana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

what is the event? is it a party? if so, i assume thre would be other people there and a cake would probably be the best bet, you could do a white cake with say, strawberry and whipped cream filling.
that would give you the opportunity to do the sugar beer bottle. other than that i really don't know how you could incorporate a beer bottle into an apple pie! unless you did like a picnic theme or something with an apple pie, some beer, sandwiches etc. i guess it depends on the event, what the cake is for.
sorry if this is rambling.




I'm sorry, icon_redface.gif it's for his birthday. I mentioned the apple pie because that is one of two somewhat sweet things I know he likes. I have to admit I got quite a chuckle picturing a beer bottle sticking out the top of an apple pie! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I know what you meant though. I'm going for a cake like this one:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333298

All fondant covered cake in the "bucket" and probably something removeable for the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You're on the right trackicon_smile.gif Fruits you could use are (dry) berries (strawberries, raspberry), &/or slices of banana.
Yes, whipped cream can be used but needs to be done as close to serving time as possible.




You say use the fruit "dry," so do I just make a whipped cream dam and then fill it with fruit (cut up to make a little juice)? And if the whipped cream is stabilized (with gelatin or whatever), how far in advance can I make it? TIA

crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 17

since you want to make that bucket you should just go with the cake idea, i'm sure he will get a kick out of it even if he doesn't eat much...

you might want to make the dam out of something other than whipped cream, even stabilized it might not be sturdy enough. something like buttercream would be better.

shanna_banana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 17

I suppose he could scrape off the BC. My nephews will eat it for sure! I'm barely getting started with cake decorating so I"m hoping to impress the family a bit if it turns out! Thanks for your advice!!!

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 17

I agree w/using a stiff consistency b'cream for the dam OR even a roll of fondant instead of whipped cream.

shanna_banana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I agree w/using a stiff consistency b'cream for the dam OR even a roll of fondant instead of whipped cream.




Oh I like the fondant idea. That would have never occurred to me.

Thank you both for your ideas and suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

Ursula40 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #9 of 17

Careful fondant and whipped cream do NOT like each other. Whipped cream usually turns fondant to mush and goo, been there, done that. Use a stiff dam of BC instead (the crisco one is best)

emlashlee Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:38am
post #10 of 17

I understand your predicament. My hubby hates cake! I know - how did we get together?! icon_smile.gif But, he does like rice krispie treats; maybe you can make a krispie cake. What we usually do for my hubby's birthday is make strawberry banana crepes. Maybe you can make him an apple pie tartlet special for him, and a cake for the other guests. That way you could show off your skills and keep him happy. icon_smile.gif

shanna_banana Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Careful fondant and whipped cream do NOT like each other. Whipped cream usually turns fondant to mush and goo, been there, done that. Use a stiff dam of BC instead (the crisco one is best)




Thanks for the tip! I didn't know fondant would be affected like that. I'll stick with buttercream.


Quote:
Originally Posted by emlashlee

I understand your predicament. My hubby hates cake! I know - how did we get together?! icon_smile.gif But, he does like rice krispie treats; maybe you can make a krispie cake. What we usually do for my hubby's birthday is make strawberry banana crepes. Maybe you can make him an apple pie tartlet special for him, and a cake for the other guests. That way you could show off your skills and keep him happy. icon_smile.gif




The apple pie tartlet sounds like a good idea. I hate stressing out over stuff like this. His B-day isn't until June 16. I had briefly thought about the RKT idea, but it's over 100 degrees here (AZ) and I wasn't sure how well it would hold up. I guess I better be worried about anything I make in this heat! lol You have given me some great ideas. Thank you. I hope everything works out!

Rylan Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #12 of 17

How about cheesecake? I love cheesecake.

shanna_banana Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:28am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

How about cheesecake? I love cheesecake.




Cheesecake is one of my favs too....especially chocolate turtle cheesecake. I was actually thinking about a cheescake frosting hoping it wouldn't be as sweet as BC. I believe he might be OK with that. I am spending way too much time on someone who isn't even my husband! But he is family and I love him like a brother. Thanks for the input! icon_biggrin.gif

KirschSalvator Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 17

You could make a brownie cake. icon_smile.gif If it's the right type of chocolate it won't be too sweet, and then you could decorate it like a regular cake.

noyhoward Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 17

My husband doesn't like eating sweet too.For his b-day last month I made him MacsMom's tiramisu cake,instead of ladyfingers I used WASC.He loved it & said that it wasn't too sweet.

sadsmile Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 17

I saw in another thread a CC'er was using an extention recipe for a boxed cake and forgot to add the extra sugar. It baked good just a little less sweet.

shanna_banana Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks sadsmile, noyhoward, and KirschSalvator , you have all given me some great ideas and I will consider all of them before making a final decision. I'm going to run all this by my sister as well and see what she thinks. I sure hope my bro-n-law appreciates all this!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%