Kneading Fondant

Decorating By davespeg Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm by Cables4fun

davespeg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone tried using the dough hook on their Kitchenaid to knead fondant? Can it be done?

12 replies
tonimarie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 13

I've never tried it, but I'm sure it could be done.......probably be pretty hard on the motor I would think because fondant is so stiff.....

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 13

Oh goodness no. Poor little KA!

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 13

I make it in the KA, yes, but kneading it once it has set up...I wouldn't do that to my poor little KA.

shanna_banana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 13

I used mine for MMF and regular fondant for everything but the very final short kneading. You can tell when your KA is being a little overworked, the sound it makes changes. So I say go for it. thumbs_up.gif

davespeg Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks to all for your ansers. I won't take a chance since i would like my KA around awhile. Can you tell I!m a rookie??????????? icon_eek.gif

chanielisalevy Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #7 of 13

I'll tell you what I do often, put the fondant in a bag and warm for 10 second intervals in the microwave -- soft as can be with minimal but VERY EASY kneading by hand.

Cables4fun Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #8 of 13

I have a quick question..... I was kneading some Wilton fondant with Gum Tex in it, and it was VERY difficult. I am making fondant ribbon roses. Is there something I can add to make it easier? It seems REALLY dry!! Should I knead in a bit of shortening? Should I warm it as suggested earlier? I know the Wilton fondant is good for modelling because it is stiffer, but with the Gum Tex it seems really hard.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Thank you!

chanielisalevy Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 13

When I used to knead in the gum tex (now I use a pre-made gumpaste) yes, it was really hard. I nuke it for 5 seconds and work quickly! Cover unused portion and renuke as needed.

STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cables4fun

I have a quick question..... I was kneading some Wilton fondant with Gum Tex in it, and it was VERY difficult. I am making fondant ribbon roses. Is there something I can add to make it easier? It seems REALLY dry!! Should I knead in a bit of shortening? Should I warm it as suggested earlier? I know the Wilton fondant is good for modelling because it is stiffer, but with the Gum Tex it seems really hard.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would REALLY appreciate it!!

Thank you!

why not forego the gum-tex and just use a 50/50 mix of fondant and already prepared gumpaste, that might help

Good luck happy caking,
Stacy

sara91 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 13

No worries! Cut it into 3 inch chunks. Put it in the mixer with the dough hook and a little powdered sugar. Bakeries are not going to hand mix huge amounts of fondant. The KA can take it. Just cut it into chunks!

tonedna Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanielisalevy

I'll tell you what I do often, put the fondant in a bag and warm for 10 second intervals in the microwave -- soft as can be with minimal but VERY EASY kneading by hand.

This is what I do..I hate to put my KA in that much stress..she is my baby...lol
Edna icon_smile.gif

Cables4fun Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for the help with my hard fondant!! I REALLY appreciate it!!

I love how everyone is so willing to help on this site! It is very unique!! I hope I know enough one day to help someone else!!

Thanks again!!

Cables4fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%