85Th Birthday Cake Request, With No Specifics....

Decorating By BakeLoveMom Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm by BakeLoveMom

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 5

I had an friend of a friend call and ask if I could get her a price on a cake for her mother's 85th B-Day. I asked what she was looking for and she said a sheet cake....I have rarely done them, and I am not that familiar with their pricing, if you look in my pics I usually do shaped or 3-d cakes. I would be filling and torting the cake and she said it would be for 40ish people. What to you think is a fair price? (I live in the middle of MI, where unemployement is at an all time high...I have such a hard time pricing cakes, the Chanel Bag in my pics went for $50 and the Victoria Secret bag $60.00) I know that is way less than some people on here, but I am not a business, I just do it for family, co-workers, friends and their friends.

Thanks for the help,
Sarah

4 replies
BakeLoveMom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

bump, thanks.

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

I am far from professional and can not sell cakes from my home because I live in NJ where it illegal but...if it were me I would charge at least what it costs to make the cake and decorate and go from there.
Well, according to the Wilton party cakes cutting guide, you could do a 9X13 sheet which would yield 45 servings (not in my crazy Italian house where 1 "serving" means half the cake)...that being said, charge what you feel comfortable with, what it costs you to make the cake at least.
And as I have learned from all of the experienced people on here, that means turning the oven on and the water and electric you used to wash up etc. HTH...there are many many more experienced people on CC that can help!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much, It will be a little bit before she needs the cake, so that will give me some time.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%