Coconut Cake That Will Hold Up In The Heat!

Baking By fbgirl00 Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 12:35am by diane

fbgirl00 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 2

I have an order for a coconut layer cake for an outdoor festival. My go to coconut cake has a sour cream filling and whipped cream frosting, not good for 90 + degree weather. I am looking for any ideas for a moist and flavorful cake. I found a coconut BC icing that sounds good. How about WASC with coconut extract instead of almond? Anyone use that before? Would I use the same amount of extract as the almond? Thanks.

1 reply
diane Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 2

here's two recipes i've found online...haven't had the chance to try them...hope one will work for you!

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons canned cream of coconut, warmed slightly
1 bag (14-ounces) flaked sweetened coconut
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. For Cake: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Set aside.
4. In another large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until creamy. Add milk and flour mixture, alternating, in 3 additions, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, occasionally scraping sides of the bowl. Gently fold in beaten egg whites.
5. Evenly divide between the pans. Bake at 375 degree F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
6. For Frosting: Whisk milk, flour, and salt in a medium-size bowl over simmering water or a double boiler, until very thick. Allow to cool. In another bowl, beat shortening, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Add cooled flour mixture; beat until fluffy.
7. Place one layer cake on serving plate and spoon 2 tablespoon cream of coconut on top. Let cake absorb. Frost top of layer and cover with some of the coconut. Top with second layer and spoon remaining cream of coconut over top. Frost top and sides; cover with remaining coconut. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 16 servings.

1 box (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1/3 cup canned cream of coconut
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Filling and Frosting:
4 teaspoons powdered egg whites
1/4 tablespoons warm water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup prepared lemon curd
1. Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 8-inch cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottoms with waxed paper and spray again.
2. Blend cake mix, water, oil, eggs, cream of coconut and coconut extract in large bowl at low speed until just moistened, about 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter between the prepared pans.
3. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Turn cakes out and remove waxed paper. Allow to cool completely.
4. Frosting: In a large bowl, mix together powdered egg whites and 1/4 cup warm water and let stand for 5 minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar. Add coconut extract. Beat in half of the marshmallow creme and 1 tablespoon of water. Beat in remaining creme and 1 tablespoon water. Beat to good spreading consistency, adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of water as needed.
5. Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with lemon curd. Top with second cake layer. Generously frost top and sides of cake with frosting. Press coconut onto sides and top of cake. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Makes 12 servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%