Fondant Crisis

Decorating By juleeab Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 10:36pm by katherinem

juleeab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 32

My friend and I done our first wedding cake this past weekend. It was a nightmare, this cake made me cry. Almost anything that could go wrong did go wrong with the fondant. This was the first cake we have done in the summer so we wonder if humidity had anything to do with it. I live in Southeastern KY and it can get very humid. We used satin ice fondant and it was so sticky. Every time we rolled it out it would stick to the counter even with powdered sugar so we were continually kneading again and again. Then when we laid it on the cake it would try to tear, crack and not smooth out around the cake. We had to pull all the fondant off two of the tiers and throw it out, which cost us quite a bit of money. We used so much powdered sugar because it was sticking to the counter that I wonder if that added to the problem. Also, the color was really deep corn flower blue and deep pink so we used quite a bit of color, the gel colors are not supposed to break the fondant down but we have also wondered if this was part of the problem. How do I prevent this from happening again? Is there a fool proof way of dealing with the fondant so that its not so sticky? Our nerves cant handle that kind of stress again. I havent added the picture yet but I will later today, it will be the only 4 tiered cake.

31 replies
txsteph Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 32

Next time try adding some of the fat back to it. Crisco on your hands & board, it will help it not to stick. Too much PS makes it tear.

Marvan704 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 32

The same thing happen to me and I use crisco. I don't konw why, but is frustrating. When i use wilton fondant doesn't happen and works great, evethough the taste is not the greatest. I relly need help in that situation too!!!

juleeab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 32

We did add a small amount of crisco and that really didn't do a lot for it. I am wondering would I even have to use PS if we brushed crisco on the surface we use to roll it out. Anyone ever do this?

juleeab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvan704

The same thing happen to me and I use crisco. I don't konw why, but is frustrating. When i use wilton fondant doesn't happen and works great, evethough the taste is not the greatest. I relly need help in that situation too!!!

I have seen other people comment that wilton fondant is the known for being user friendly. I have also read you can add Loranns oil's to make wilton fondant taste better. I am seriously thinking about it trying this out.

drakegore Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 32

i just did my first cake in satin ice and i too found it sticky and cracked easily. i used a non-stick mat and that solved most of the sticky problem without using ps or cornstarch, but it dried so fast that when i went to put the fondant stripes on cake, the edges cracked and broke! it was only left out 4 minutes between cutting of stripe and application.

Renaejrk Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 32

You probably did have too much p.s. which is why it tore and cracked. You probably needed more crisco/shortening. sometimes I'll even add a little bit of glycerine (I use this to make my fondant). Have you used fondant much before? You might practice with it a little more and get used to how it works in your temp/humidity, sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works for you.

rharris524 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 32

I live in south FL where super high humidity is the norm...I've never used Satin Ice but I have used Wiltons, MMF, and homemade fondant. I find that I use PS on my surface and roll it out a little, then lift and recoat the counter with PS and flip the fondant and roll some more, etc until it is the right size. The issue is though, once you do this, you can't really ball it back up and reroll it b/c it will be too dry. I've had very good results with MMF. WIth Wiltons and homemade, I've had some issues...hit or miss.

ptanyer Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 32

I have had problems in the past with SI. The first problem was back in March in covering a 4 tier wedding cake, and then again this past Tursday night in trying to cover a 7 tier wedding cake. The first time we kneaded in some Wilton fondant and finally got the tiers covered.

But the second time was so awful, I actually posted a cry for help on CC looking for other local decorators to come and help me!!! I was devastated. Nothing was working, absolutely nothing! Finally we decided to try another tip I had seen on CC and we microwaved the SI, rolled it out with no crisco, PS or CS on the mat, just a very light smear of crisco on the hands. Microwaved it, kneaded it and rolled it out, and then like Sugarshack does in her DVD flipped over the mat and used the "bottom" of the fondant as the "top", smoothed and fitted it and viola...smooth as satin, just like the product is called. Absolutely wonderful and this will be the way I continued to do fondant from now on.

HTH's thumbs_up.gif

juleeab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

You probably did have too much p.s. which is why it tore and cracked. You probably needed more crisco/shortening. sometimes I'll even add a little bit of glycerine (I use this to make my fondant). Have you used fondant much before? You might practice with it a little more and get used to how it works in your temp/humidity, sometimes you just have to experiment to see what works for you.

We have done about 12 cakes all in fondant, never had this problem. Also to rharris might I ask was MMF is. I thought this was homemade marshmellow fondant.

drakegore Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 32

i hate to say it but when i used the nasty wilton stuff (before i knew better, lol), i didn't have any of these problems. the satin ice tastes so much better but holy cow, the wilton was easier to work with.

are there tricks to working with satin ice to keep it from cracking? i don't even use ps or cornstarch and it cracks.

mdonna01 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 32

I had the same problem using the Satin Ice fondant. I think it tastes better than Wilton, but I have found that Wilton is stiffer and it doesn't stick or dry out the way the Satin Ice does.

juleeab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptanyer

I have had problems in the past with SI. The first problem was back in March in covering a 4 tier wedding cake, and then again this past Tursday night in trying to cover a 7 tier wedding cake. The first time we kneaded in some Wilton fondant and finally got the tiers covered.

But the second time was so awful, I actually posted a cry for help on CC looking for other local decorators to come and help me!!! I was devastated. Nothing was working, absolutely nothing! Finally we decided to try another tip I had seen on CC and we microwaved the SI, rolled it out with no crisco, PS or CS on the mat, just a very light smear of crisco on the hands. Microwaved it, kneaded it and rolled it out, and then like Sugarshack does in her DVD flipped over the mat and used the "bottom" of the fondant as the "top", smoothed and fitted it and viola...smooth as satin, just like the product is called. Absolutely wonderful and this will be the way I continued to do fondant from now on.

HTH's thumbs_up.gif

So you microwaved the SI! Wow, never thought of that. So I will need to microwave it, knead it and roll it out. This sound like just what I needed. Thanks.

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 32

Have any of you contacted SI to let them know you're having these problems? The people up there are very nice, and I am sure they would like to be made aware of these recurring difficulties in handling and using their products.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

FiveRushings Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #15 of 32

I use MMF (Marshmellow Fondant) and live in Florida. It always seems to work good for me and people like the taste. I cover my surfaces and hands with Crisco. If it is gooey or stickey I add more Conf Sugar. If it gets to stiff to work with-I just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds. And its cheap, fast and easy to make.

Don't get discourged!

sweetcakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:09pm
post #16 of 32

i have found that any large amount of food colouring really weakens the fondant, so it stretches too easily, tears, and gets sticky. I now use their precoloured fondant to get close to the shade i need then add in a small amount of food colouring as needed. SI make a pretty good colouring chart to help mix. i also charge more if they want the fondant coloured, thats alot of work needing it in to large quantities and working on getting the right shade. youll have better luck next time, im sure.

rharris524 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:15pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

We have done about 12 cakes all in fondant, never had this problem. Also to rharris might I ask was MMF is. I thought this was homemade marshmellow fondant.

Sorry about the confusion...by MMF, I meant homemade marshmallow fondant. I've also made non-marshmallow homemade and have had mixed results.

kakealicious Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #18 of 32

I live in FL and have issues with heat and humidity. I had this same problem today for a cake I am making for tomorrow. No matter what I did it kept sticking to the counter no matter how much PS I was using. I remembered that I had purchased a piece of vinyl a few months back because I read somewhere on CC forum that fondant will not stick to vinyl. So, I pulled it out and OMG it worked like a charm. I didn't even have to use shortening or PS just a couple of dusts from my cornstarch duster pouch and it worked like a charm. I also in the past used MMF and it was really sticky especially here in FL but just recently I tried Michele Foster's updated Fondant and instead of using cream I used Coffee Mate Hazelnut biscotti creamer and it smells delicious and was so much easier to work with and smoother.
Good luck! HTH!

dololly Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #19 of 32

Just a tip for keeping your fondant from cracking quickly. Put wet papertowels between layers of saran wrap. That is just enough moisture to keep the fondant from drying out. As soon as you cut and remove one piece to place on the cake, cover the rest with the "towel". Be careful to put enough saran wrap, and make sure the ends are tightly secure, you don't want any water touching your fondant. thumbs_up.gif This works well with Satin Ice.

annacakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #20 of 32

The vinyl DOES work well. Also, it's my understanding that using lots of PS is a cause of fondant drying out. Too much...too dry. Corn starch is a better choice to dust with. HTH

Anna

kearniesue Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #21 of 32

I'm pretty new to MMF, and fondant all together for that matter, but after watching a video on youtube to make MMF in a mixer, I don't think I'll try anything else - it's cheap, tastes good, and almost always turns out great. Does anyone else use a mixer to make it?

Just type 'how to make marshmallow fondant' and check it out.

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:30am
post #22 of 32

I actually tried making it in my heavy duty mixer and it really dried it out compared to when i usually make it with crisco on my counter.

LadyAlmuina Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:44am
post #23 of 32

fiverushing * do you make your own MF or do u buy it?

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:00am
post #24 of 32

I use SI all of the time. It can be a bit too soft, especially in high humidity. I always mix 2/3 SI with 1/3 Wilton and get great taste with great workability.

I roll on vinyl with a thin smear of crisco. I never have sticking issues.

I don't apply it with the "backside up" because I want the smooth, but dry side on top, so that I can use my fondant smoothers on it immediately.

Cornstarch dries and leaves residue=elephant skin+mess.

PS absorbs water in humidity, adding more stickiness. That, plus adding lots of color--and ALL colors increase the stickiness of ANY fondant--is another mess altoghether.

Take care in nukeing SI. If overheated, it can ruin the product and actually make it dry faster and crack more easily once applied.

HTH
Rae

katherinem Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #25 of 32

Wilton Fondant taste in my opinoin disgusting and the only time i used it no one would touch the cake. I have since always used MMF which everyone always devours - every bite. I just bought my 1st bucket of Satin Ice last night and to my husband and I - it was a waste of money - it taste like playdough. But i can mix it with gumpaste and use it on some of my figures or toppers.

A lot of people have been posting about how MFF is easier and cleaner to make than MMF and still tastes good as it is homemade as well - i will be trying to make that today and will do some more taste tests agains the MMF to see if it compares. If i wouldn't eat then I won't put it on a cake i'm making.

juleeab Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoreton

Wilton Fondant taste in my opinoin disgusting and the only time i used it no one would touch the cake. I have since always used MMF which everyone always devours - every bite. I just bought my 1st bucket of last night and to my husband and I - it was a waste of money - it taste like playdough. But i can mix it with gumpaste and use it on some of my figures or toppers.

A lot of people have been posting about how MFF is easier and cleaner to make than MMF and still tastes good as it is homemade as well - i will be trying to make that today and will do some more taste tests agains the MMF to see if it compares. If i wouldn't eat then I won't put it on a cake i'm making.

I know what MMF is but am confused about MFF is. Can some one help me. Also, could I have a recipe for it?

Cakeonista Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:18pm
post #27 of 32

I almost always use either cooking spray or crisco and it works much better for me than ps. I also loves the sheen ot gives it. I also agree that Wilton fondant rolls out and looks beautiful, maybe we should let them know and maybe they can do something about the flavor/ lol I now use either Michelle foster's fondant or SI and I loe both. Would love to try fondarific but it is very pricey.

samiam22 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 10:37pm
post #28 of 32

I use MFF ( Michelle Foster's) recipe exclusively now for fondant. I was making my own MMF but found it too messy. The recipe can be found in the recipe section here at CC. It is quick and easy to make,stores at room temp,you just have to have glycerin on hand to make it. I have had no problems with dryness or stickiness using MFF.
I roll it out on the mat that we got in our Wilton course and then flip it onto the cakes.
Works like a charm and tastes great too.

andrea7 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:57pm
post #29 of 32

I usually use Satin Ice and love it. To save money I thought I could make MMF but five times i've made it and each time it get little pits in the fondant (they won't go away)There like tiny tears. Also there is no elasticity to the fondant. It won't strech at all. Any suggestions?
Andrea

kearniesue Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #30 of 32

I tried the MMF once by hand and the results were terrible - no elasticity and it tore easy.

I'm pretty new at this, but I've done it 4 times with a mixer, and it turned out great every time - I melted 1lb marshmallows with 3Tbs water and 1TBS vanilla together, then put 6 cups ps in the mixer and add the marshmallows. Mix with the dough hook, and add up to 2 more cups of ps as needed - just so it isn't sticky to the touch (some ps will be left on the sides and bottom) Kneed it on a crico covered surface and then let it rest in plastic for a coule of hours. But, I have found that after it sits for a day or so, it doesn't work as well, so you might want to make what you'll use that day.

Also, you can add color at the marshmallow stage - that's way easier than doing it after it's made!

Maybe I've been lucky so far, but I just thought I'd share that with you.. Couldn't hurt to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%