Cookies, Cakes For Best Friend, Not Sure How To Charge

Decorating By Sneezie Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm by mombabytiger

Sneezie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 13

I know there are different opinons on charging friends and family. I made a cake for 130 people. (If I counted the servings right) It was 4 tiers, bottom was 12'...10'...9'...6. It had a gumpaste graduation hat on the top, all fondant accents. Buttercream with rasberry in the middle.
I also made 120 sugar cookies that were decorated like dogwood blossoms.
I also made her younger daughter a 1 layer 9X13 cake with a gumpaste figure,bag, flip flops and the cake was covered in gumpaste.
She wants to pay me, but I don't want to charge her full price, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if attaching photos worked. Thanks so much!

12 replies
sambugjoebear Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:43pm
post #2 of 13

For my VERY close friends and family, I give a 20% discount. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 13

For my very close personal friends I give it to them at cost - that is just what I choose to do.

bbmom Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 13

Were you expecting money when you agreed to bake the cakes/cookies? Or was it a gift and now she says she'd like to pay? If so let her pay any amount as a thank you. Otherwise its up to you, do you want cost of ingredients? or are you trying to make a profit? going rate for the cakes is anywhere from $2 a serving and up, with the filling, tiers and gumpaste accessories I would say "and up" $3-$5 range. Decotrated cookies are about $1 an inch, but I charge less if its a simple design, not individually packaged and all the same.

Sneezie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 13

She has told me all along she would be paying me. She feels otherwise she is taking advantage of me. She is my closest friend and I don't want to tell her a price, it feels funny. She wants me to tell her a price. Should I tell her the total it would have cost if someone else had done it and then let her decide what to give me? If I had my way I would just tell her to pay me for the cost of the ingredients, but she said NO WAY.

Sneezie Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 13

I want to attach the pictures but I can't get it to work. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

loriana Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 13

Hi Sneezie,

Attached is the matrix a lot of folks use to determine pricing. You will need Microsoft Excel 97 or newer to run it, but it is a nice worksheet that will help you determine your costs. Then you can determine what to charge your friend.

Lisa (Loriana)

OfficerMorgan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 13

A good way to go so that she doesn't feel like she is paying you too much is to tell her your normal price, and then say, "but for close friends and family I give X% discount" (or "I just ask for you to cover my cost".) This way you aren't just blurting out asking for a price.

Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:04am
post #9 of 13

Although I don't have experience selling cakes, I would suggest that you charge her with what you are comfortable with.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 13

I charge my family the same as I charge a customer...Full price.I have never had a problem!!It is my business and they respect that!!

Deb_ Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:13am
post #11 of 13

That's a LOT of baked goods and work........wow!

Here's what I do.

If someone asks me for a cake/cookies then it's a *paid order*, as this is business.

If I OFFER to bring a cake/cookies etc., then it's my *gift* or *donation* to their event.

Next time be sure to work out the money thing upfront when she asks for the items. A good question to ask to open the conversation is......"how much do you want to spend?".

This tells them immediately that this is business.

I would tell her what the "real" price is and see what she says.

cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

That's a LOT of baked goods and work........wow!

Here's what I do.

If someone asks me for a cake/cookies then it's a *paid order*, as this is business.

If I OFFER to bring a cake/cookies etc., then it's my *gift* or *donation* to their event.

Next time be sure to work out the money thing upfront when she asks for the items. A good question to ask to open the conversation is......"how much do you want to spend?".

This tells them immediately that this is business.

I would tell her what the "real" price is and see what she says.

That's really good advice! Especially, the how much do you want to spend bit! thumbs_up.gif

mombabytiger Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:36pm
post #13 of 13

When I tell friends to pay me what they think is fair, they usually pay me at least as much as I would have charged. Even if I say I'm donating the cake, they usually pay for the cost of ingredients. That's why they're friends!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%