Question Regarding Cake Tastings

Business By tmcakes Updated 15 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm by froglover

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all, I was wondering how some of you conduct cake a tasting for wedding cake orders. I am pretty new at the whole cake business and never attended an actual tasting before (not even for my own wedding because I made my own wedding cake) Any way when this was just a hobby if anyone asked to taste any of my cakes I would always do one 6 inch square cake(two layers). Well I was wondering what should I do for weddings, Not everyone will want the traditional white cake or chocolate grooms cake so in that case should I asked the bride and groom what cake flavors they will want and make just that or should I allow them to sample however many they want, even if it means baking every type of cake I offer? I think that would be a waste since I always have left over batter I end up throwing away since I never freeze my cakes for later. Also as for filling choices should I place each one in a glass dish for them to try as well?

What size cake would you suggest making? I think the 6 inch square (two layers) is a bit much so I will be allowing the bride and groom to take the remaining of the cake home with them. Do you see any possible issues with doing this?

I am really getting frustrated because of the waste in product. I will be renting my kitchen so I don't have a store front to use the leftovers, which could easily be used for cupcakes. Please help! I'm sorry this was so long but I have so many questions that need answers!

6 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 7

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-631676-.html

Check out this recent thread, same question. I posted some great links that you should read. icon_smile.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 7

I can only tell you what I do. When I have left over cake batter I bake a small square cake and pop it into the freezer (using the press n seal method) then when I need to prepare samples I cut it into squares. I don't provide every flavour I offer. If there is a particular kind they want I will do the same process freezing the extra. I usually provide the most popular flavours. eg wasc, chocolate maybe french vanilla etc. whatever I happen to have on hand. The cake is always as fresh and moist as the day I bake it. HTH

tmcakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you so much that is excatly what I was looking for. I did not come up with anything when I did the search so thanks a million!

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

You are welcome. Good Luck with your tasting!

tmcakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much that is excatly what I was looking for. I did not come up with anything when I did the search so thanks a million!

froglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froglover Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 7

We offer brides as many samples as she'd like usually a mini loaf pan like 2X4 size but we charge $2 a flavor. We love it when we are baking another cake in that flavor but if not we make a small batch of mix instead of the whole recipie. But we have had brides order a tasting and consult and never show up so we are out those samples cuz we don't freeze. I saw where someone on here will offter a tasting on a particular day of the month and have all brides come that day that might be an option.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%