Cake Boards - Use One Or Two??

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm by cylstrial

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 4

I purchase a corraguated cake boards, and for my opinion, they look not sturdy to support cakes, between tires. Are you using one or two glued together? I am worry that two boards will make big space between cakes, when stacked.
Also can cake base support 3 tier cake (14,10,6)?? Thank you.

3 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 4

I have not had any problems with a single cake board supporting a layer. As for supporting a multi-tier cake...a single-thickness board isn't the best for that, IMO, but a cake drum seems to work just fine.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 4

Cake drums work great, but they are expensive! I have been taping several cardboard cake boards together and using that for my cake base. I haven't had any tiered cakes transported that way but the single layer cakes seem to do just fine with two cake boards taped together.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

I would say it just depends on the weight of the cake. I have used single cardboards, I have used double and triple. I have used cake drums. I have gone out to Lowe's and purchased a round bar stool top (sold separately without the legs). And I have used masonite boards. Masonite boards are nice because you can reuse them...they are pretty cheap and they can support quite a bit of weight. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%