Fondant Figures...where Do I Start?

Decorating By sweetcakes1107 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm by Rylan

sweetcakes1107 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 4

I'm planning a cake and want to make fondant figures to put on it, but don't know where to start. I was thinking of using mmf (which I've used before for covering and decorating.) I've hear of Tylose? Would I add this to make the fondant harden? Also, how far in advance do I make the figures. Will I need supports inside?
Here is a pic of a cake with figures similar to the ones I thinking of making.
Each animal is made up of letters. I gues I will make the letters seperatly and then how would I attach them together? Also how are the other pieces like legs attached?
Any advice or resources will be greatly appriciated!!!
Thanks!!!!
Kristin

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1252030.html

3 replies
txsteph Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 4

you can use MMF, but gum paste dries faster. You can add Tylose, it does help the fondant dry out faster. or you can mix part fondant & part gum paste. It is all up to you & how well each works for you. Everyone has their own preference. You can make figures weeks in advance and once dry keep them in air tight containers. There are a lot of How to videos on You Tube about making figures. I suggest searching & watching some of those. A lot are made of separate pieces, and "glued" together by using water, RI, etc .. before it is dried, once it is a little wet it will stick. Maybe someone else can help out more. HTH Good luck

bashini Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there, I haven't used MMF for figures. But I'm sure you can use it. Add 1/2 a teaspoon of Tylose/CMC powder to 250g of fondant. Or use 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste.

The place to start is aine2! Here is her blog and the website links. She has few online tutorial that you can buy.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 4

I prefer adding tylose to my fondant or using a mixture of fondant and gumpaste. I use the Wilton fondant and Satin Ice gumpaste to make my figures and flowers.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%