Painting White Chocolate Seashells

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 2:22am by gscout73

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #31 of 39

its quite a long process but worth it =) will try next week, got a luau theme birthday cake due on 27th. thanks gscout73 for sharing =)

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #32 of 39

Wow gscout 73 those shells really are beautiful! Whenever you press the fondant into the molds, do you just trim around the mold at that point to remove the excess fondant? I've gotta try this one!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 5 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #33 of 39

Yes, I trim while in the mold. Making them really is not a long process, the coloring was. I kinda went overboard with the colors, but I was so worried about not having enough natural hues for the variety of shells. I even used light blue, coral, peach, antique white, antique gold, super gold, silver, charcoal.... my daughter kinda thought I went a little nuts. icon_confused.gif buuuut, I like how they turned out.... the next time I have to make some I am sure I will use just the core 5 colors and super pearl.

Being fondant they not only had the look but the feel of real.

Maynard628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maynard628 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:10pm
post #34 of 39

gscout73, thank you for posting these shells and how to do them! I've been searching for seashells and molds, etc 'coz I have to make 200 cupcakes in August for a wedding and yours are just GORGEOUS! I would like to know how far in advance can I make them and how do you store them?

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #35 of 39

My shell molds are 25 years old and getting kind of brittle. I've looked around a bit (in stores) and not run across a new shell mold. Any suggestions?

I seriously want to try this.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #36 of 39

I have a silicone mold I love that I bought from Global Sugar Art. It's maybe 4" x 4" and has 8 or 9 cavities. When I found out that we were doing a beach themed engagement party for my brother, I went back and bought a silicone starfish mold as well! For the engagement cake, I used candy melts for the shells and fondant for the starfish. I was very happy with the results!

HTH,
Karen

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #37 of 39

I used to do handmade chocolates before I ever started doing cake decorating and had no idea what "dusts" were. I colored very small amounts of melted white chocolate or melts with oil based candy colors, or chocolate melts/candy. You can paint them in the molds where you want the colors. If you want crisp edges between colors, put them in the freezer for a minute or two and then fill mold with the white, replace in freezer until completley set and just tap mold on counter to release. If you want blurred edges between colors, then fill mold as soon as you have painted it. The colors will float and swirl some and are transparent in a sense through to whatever color you fill with. This works great for shells and cameos.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #38 of 39

gscout 73 those shells really are beautiful how did you make the pearls? did you used a mold?

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #39 of 39

Thank you so much for the compliments. I did not use molds for the pearls, just rolled them the old fashioned way in my palms with my fingers, then dusted with super pearl.

As for making and storing the finished shells, you can keep them for a very long time in an airtight container, but they must be fully dry. Closing them up while still even the slightest bit moist will result in mold. I still have a few shells in a container.

And ideas: try looking for soap molds. Some of mine are sold as soap molds. Keey your eyes and mind open and think outside the box.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%