Black Making Green?!?!

Decorating By clovely Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm by cashley

clovely Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 7

I'm trying to color a small piece of gumpaste black - for the life of me, it's turning a speckled green color! What in the world is going on?? Has anyone ever had this happen?

6 replies
txsteph Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 7

It is really hard to make black .. start by making brown & go from there, it might be easier.

pianocat Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 7

I've had it happen (green is one pigment that is mixed into black). As texsteph said start with brown and then go black. I actually buy the dk choc satin ice and dye it black as I like the taste better than the regular fondant.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by pianocat

I've had it happen (green is one pigment that is mixed into black).

Exactly. I buy black BC (my cake supply store sells it in what I call a deli cole-slaw container size ... just enough to keep on hand for writing and small accents) ... anyway, I notice when it gets down to the bottom (close to empty), it looks green around the edges.

clovely Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't start with brown because I was making a laptop and would've been perfectly happy with grey. But the green was freaking me out! I did it with what I had and it make a greenish-dark gray. Oh well. Thanks!

Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 7

I've had the same problem back when I first started using gumpaste to make shingles for my gingerbread house. I wasn't familiar with gumpaste and I used regular food coloring. The gingerbread house looks a bit messy since I didn't know how to work with gumpaste back then. Look, it turned green.

cashley Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 7

Americolor Super Black you will not have a problem making black again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%