Stand-Up Chocolate Cake Recipe

Baking By ufgirl00 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm by bake-aholic

ufgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufgirl00 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to cake decorating and I want to make a penguin cake for my parents anniversary. I am using the mini stand up 3D bear pan and cutting it to make the penguin. I want to use a chocolate cake recipe. It asks for pound cake but I am not a huge fan of pound cake. Does anyone have a recipe for a chocolate cake that is dense enough for the stand up pan? Thanks!!

2 replies
isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 3

If you search for the word "durable" in the recipe section, you can find a chocolate recipe that should stand up well & can be carved.

bake-aholic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-aholic Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 3

I have been baking for over 30 years and love this goldmine of a recipe. There are several variations one can make with this (see below). The texture of this cake is nice and dense-perfect when icing; it also tastes wonderful! I have used several variations-for weddings, showers, b-days, etc. I always get rave reviews. If you ever try the lemon variation, you can go to a cake specialty shop and pick up a sleeve or two of raspberry glaze and tort/fill with it; it's unbelievable! Good luck and enjoy icon_smile.gif

2 boxes white cake mix (I prefer Duncan Hines)
2 cups flour (or 2 c. + 2 TB cake flour)
2 cups sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
2 2/3 cup water
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tsp real vanilla
1-2 tsp almond extract
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes.

Bake at 325 degrees F until cake tests done.

{Makes about 13 cups batter; 40-50 Servings}

This recipe makes:
One 14 round and one 6 round or
One 16 round or
One 12 round and one 10 round or
One 12x18 sheet cake or (serves 54 if cut 2x2 pieces, or serves 36 if cut 2x3 pieces)
One 12 round and one 8 round and one 6 round

Half the recipe makes:
Two 8 rounds or
Two 6rounds and 6 cupcakes

Double the recipe makes:
One 18 round and one 10 round
All 4 sizes in the Wilton petal pan set

For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes, omit almond extract and substitute 6 whole eggs for the whites. Same applies to Marble Cakes.

For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe

For berry flavors: Substitute one 3 oz pkg Jell-o instant Pudding in a coordinating flavor for part of the sugar in the recipe. Use a 16 oz pkg frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end. *You'll need to add a little extra batter to each pan for this version.* I found I needed at least another cup and a half of batter for a 10 inch round when using the fruit version.
For berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.

For lemon cake: substitute lemon juice for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe, use 6 whole eggs instead of the whites, stir in 1 Tblsp lemon zest, and use 1 tsp of a good lemon extract in place of the almond. This variation is excellent with a raspberry filling.

For white chocolate: melt 8oz white baking chocolate & cool slightly. use 6 whole eggs in the recipe instead of the whites, temper the chocolate by stirring in a small amount of the batter, then add the white chocolate to the entire batter and stir well. Doesn't bake up quite as high as the original, so add a pinch more batter to the pans.

Marble Cake Poundcake
Follow box instructions but add 1 package, 4 serving size, of instant pudding - I use vanilla, use 3 tbsp. oil, reduce water called for by 1/4 cup or use that amount in milk, use an additional egg than what is called for on box.
Follow baking instructions per box.

*When you don't have a Marble Mix but have a yellow mix, you can turn it into a Marble Mix easily by following the above but with the Yellow mix and reserving 1 cup of your batter to which you add 1/3 cup cocoa powder and proceed as directed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%