Wbh Freckled Mocha Cake...help...

Decorating By Jaeger Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:19am by Jokerz

Jaeger  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I love the flavor of this cake but I've made it twice now and both times it seemed too dry and crumbly. It might have been a little overbaked the first time but I watched it carefully the second time. Admittedly, I'm a novice scratch baker icon_redface.gif and would love to have this recipe turn out right.

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Cheryl

3 replies
 ibmoser  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 4

I looooove this cake, too, but I have had good luck with the recipe as is. I bake at 325 for just a little longer, though. I usually try to get the cake out of the oven before the sides pull away from the pan too much - I find that a moist crumb or two on the tester is a good thing icon_lol.gif . Just not wet batter....... You can always use a white mix if necessary - just dissolve a couple of rounded teaspoons of instant espresso in the milk (or water if that's what you use) and stir in the grated chocolate.

Jaeger  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaeger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply! icon_smile.gif I've been baking it at 350 so maybe I'll try it at 325 and see if that makes a difference. It has such an amazing flavor - I need to conquer this recipe!!

Jokerz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 4

Jaeger, let us know if it worked out for you. I tried this recipe using an 8x3 pan, 5 cups batter, 325 degrees, with a flower nail. It turned out quite dense and the crust was pretty crusty by the time the middle was baked. The cupcakes I made with the extra batter turned out wonderful. The funny thing is that the expresso flavor really came out with the cupcakes but I didn't really notice it in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%