Wbh Freckled Mocha Cake...help...

Decorating By Jaeger Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:19am by Jokerz

Jaeger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I love the flavor of this cake but I've made it twice now and both times it seemed too dry and crumbly. It might have been a little overbaked the first time but I watched it carefully the second time. Admittedly, I'm a novice scratch baker icon_redface.gif and would love to have this recipe turn out right.

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
ibmoser Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 4

I looooove this cake, too, but I have had good luck with the recipe as is. I bake at 325 for just a little longer, though. I usually try to get the cake out of the oven before the sides pull away from the pan too much - I find that a moist crumb or two on the tester is a good thing icon_lol.gif . Just not wet batter....... You can always use a white mix if necessary - just dissolve a couple of rounded teaspoons of instant espresso in the milk (or water if that's what you use) and stir in the grated chocolate.

Jaeger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply! icon_smile.gif I've been baking it at 350 so maybe I'll try it at 325 and see if that makes a difference. It has such an amazing flavor - I need to conquer this recipe!!

Jokerz Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 4

Jaeger, let us know if it worked out for you. I tried this recipe using an 8x3 pan, 5 cups batter, 325 degrees, with a flower nail. It turned out quite dense and the crust was pretty crusty by the time the middle was baked. The cupcakes I made with the extra batter turned out wonderful. The funny thing is that the expresso flavor really came out with the cupcakes but I didn't really notice it in the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%