Suggestions For Decorating With 4 Year Olds

Decorating By melissaanne Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm by Rylan

melissaanne Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:36am
post #1 of 11

hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I have been asked to do a cake decorating
Activity with 24 children that are 4 years old.
I was thinking either cupcakes or cookies?
Any suggestions???????

10 replies
Eisskween Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 11

Gingerbread boys and girls. We did a contest with those once and the kids had a wonderful time, so did the adults! I highly recommend gingerbread boys and girls. icon_biggrin.gif

melissaanne Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 11

Unfortunatly we have already made gingerbread men.
Thanks for your reply

ylil Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 11

For 4-year-olds, I think I would do cupcakes...icing and different sprinkles. Chocolate & Vanilla icing and different color/shape sprinkles so they can choose. Variety but not too difficult. I think cupcakes always look good no matter how they're decorated, so 4 year olds would be proud of what they did.

hth some,

melissaanne Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 11

That sounds good lily!

suz3 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 11

I did cookies with a group of kids that were all ages. I used buttercream that was thinned some and put it in squeeze bottles. I had sprinkles of all kinds. This worked really well.

cakes22 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 11

I have done cupcake parties with kids and what I do is provide different colours of b/c in disposable bags and have each colour with a different icing tip. The kids get to experiment with the tips and do different designs. I also provide different sprinkles and coloured sugar. The kids love it.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 11

The squeeze bottle is a good idea. I actually bought the little decorator bottle set from Pampered Chef for my younger kids to use. The only time they are used is when my 5 year old is decorating because it just makes it so much easier for her. These come in a set of three with three different decorator's tips though I have found any of my other tips will work with them.

They do like smearing frosting on things and at 4 they think everything is a masterpiece! lol I taught a VBS class for preschoolers and we decorated sugar cookies. I just gave them bowls of frosting and plastic butterknives. They went to town and frosted everything (themselves included!) added sprinkles and were thrilled with what they'd done.

crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 11

agree with cucakes, different colors of frosting, different types of sprinkles etc.

melissaanne Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 12:09pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for all your ideas and help. In the end I went with star cookies on sticks. They used a glacé icing and decorated them with mini fondant shapes and sprinkles. When they were dry I placed them in bags with a rainbow ribbon and a name tag. It was fun, but a lot of work.

Rylan Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 11

Nice job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%