Covering Cake Boards - With Any Kind Of Paper?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm by cylstrial

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:14am
post #1 of 20

When covering your cake boards do you purchase the wrapping from a cake decorating store, or can you use any type of gift wrapping paper. I've seen several boards on this site covered and I was wondering what everyone used. I know some boards are covered in fondant, but some seem to be paper. Thanks.

19 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:34am
post #2 of 20

A lot of people use any kind of paper, then cover it with clear contact paper. Plain paper will show grease marks.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #3 of 20

If you are not using the fancifoil cake-board covering foodsafe foil, then yeah, you need to cover yourpaper (or fabric!) with a foodsafe plastic covering.

Some types of Contact clear adhesive plastic covrering is apparently not food safe - so it pays to check icon_smile.gif

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 20

I use the clear contact paper and just make sure the cake is not sitting on it directly. I put the cake on another board that is the same size as the cake. Even some of those fanci foils aren't food safe, who knows!!! But even when I use them I put the cake on a board, never directly on the foil.

KieslerKakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 20

I purchased the foil from the cake store that I shop at in town. I asked the owner about it as well, just to make sure I do the wright thing. I have always covered my cak boards with the foil from her store or purchased at Hobby Lobby in the Wilton aisle. thanks

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 20

I prefer fondant. As long as your cake isn't touching the paper then it would be fine but I suggest you just use something that is made for food.

Good luck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieslerKakes

I purchased the foil from the cake store that I shop at in town. I asked the owner about it as well, just to make sure I do the wright thing. I have always covered my cak boards with the foil from her store or purchased at Hobby Lobby in the Wilton aisle. thanks

Florist foil is not necessarily food safe but is sold abundantly from our cake deco stores. The Wilton paper is food safe. Maybe some others but not florist foil. Like has been already said, a work around is to place the cake on it's own cardboard circle.

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 20

I always use white freezer paper.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 20

I just did my first board covered in fondant...I loved it! I don't think I will ever use fancy foil again.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonergirl

I always use white freezer paper.

When you use the freezer paper do you turn the shiny side up to keep from having grease spots if you use buttercream? I just bought a roll of freezer paper & I noticed the fondant doesn't spot but the buttercream does?

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #11 of 20

Yes, always shiny side up.

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 20

I use scrapbook paper that color coordinates with my cake. Then I cover it with the Glad press and seal plastic. Works great!

KieslerKakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:00pm
post #13 of 20

I knew there had to be more to the story. I have seen some pretty fancy boards and knew they weren't foil or fondant. I was going to try wrapping paper and cover it with clear freezer paper or I could use the glad press n seal. That's the best thing ever invented. thanks

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #14 of 20

I'm not sure where to find the contact paper. Say if I was in Walmart, what area would it be in? Is it a big roll?
Thanks!

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:43pm
post #15 of 20

I think you would look where the shelf paper would be. It is in a roll just like it but clear.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 20

I can't obtain a food grade clear contact paper - or just haven't found it yet. I use any type of gift wrap, etc that matches my design/color theme, then cover the entire thing with clear cellophane foil. Really allows me a lot of freedom in colors, though a bit of a pain in the doubling of efforts.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 4:54pm
post #17 of 20

My walmart has a fabric section ( i know that they have taken them out of alot of stores). I get a fabric that coordinates with the cake. Then I cover it with the food safe vinyl that walmart sells on a big roll. It is only 97 cents a yard. It is over by the large rolls of vinyl table cloth on a roll. One yard does several cakes, so it is super cheap, and lets me really personalize the board.

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 20

I havent been doing this very long but I use the Glad Press N Seal. Not sure if this is what you are asking...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #19 of 20

I exploit the heck out of the scrapbook paper section at the craft store. Then cover with clear Contact paper. Believe it or not, there aren't little Contact paper germs biting at the reins to jump into your cake and poison it. I mean really....there is hardly any cake actually touching the paper, maybe a teeny little edge of frosting. Works like a charm, and makes a beautiful cake board when paired with coordinating ribbon around the edge of the board/drum.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:06pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks Shelly! I'll check that out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%